Taylor GA3, $899+2 setups good deal?

Vedder323

• Members

The GA3 runs $1000 new and setups can be in the neighborhood of $75 so yeah, it's a good deal. I'd have it set up initially (or at least looked at to see if it needs it) and save the other for later. I'd also get the promise of setups in writing.

• Members

Was at a local guitar shop and feel in love with a little GA3, said he could do $899 with 2 setups whenever I want... do I keep shopping or pull the trig?

Go to the Taylor site and get the LIST price. Also google it and find out what MF or other big box stores are selling if for (which is called the manufacturers minimum advertized price). You can sometimes beat the latter with a little haggling - but if you do some math most stores pay about 50 percent of LIST for theirs stock and sell at somewhere from 70 to 80 percent of list. (All of this assumes a new guitar with warranty)

Setups do run about 75 but I always believe that the shop owes you at least one with a new guitar - it should play the way YOU want it to when you walk out the door (big advantage of shopping local is that you do get a setup). Another in 6 months or a year is a bonus.

Great little guitar, we'll want to see pictures of it when you get it.

• Members
Bought it... he threw in free strings each month for a year... that sealed the deal...

Feel good about the purchase and enjoy it. I almost bought that git but went with my Larrivee. You did well (or "you done good," whichever you prefer ;)).

Bill

• Members

Did you have to pay sales tax? That takes a bite.

I had considered sales tax when I encouraged him to pull the trigger. From the time of his post, he had already bought it by the time I had posted anyway.

However, even with sales tax he did fine considering the two setups and free strings.

Plus, buying local, he can take it back there should there be a problem.

Bill

• Members

oh, one thing i messed up, its not a GA3, its a GC3... Love it so far!

I had wondered about that when you called it "small," but I've heard the GA's called small by folks who've always had dreads and jumbos.

The GC is also short scale. Glad you are enjoying it.

Bill

Archived