New Ray LaMontagne album

kwakatak

• Members

I asked Santa to bring it to me and I've been listening to it for nearly 3 weeks solid. It's even better than the second one. Check it out if you get the chance. My personal favorite track is track 2: "Let It Be Me" but there are a few really good ones. As for genre, it's mostly folk but the opening song "You Are The Best Thing" has a motown flair to it and "Hey Me, Hey Mama" has that "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" vibe. All good stuff though! :thu:

• Members
I asked Santa to bring it to me and I've been listening to it for nearly 3 weeks solid. It's even better than the second one. Check it out if you get the chance. My personal favorite track is track 2: "Let It Be Me" but there are a few really good ones. As for genre, it's mostly folk but the opening song "You Are The Best Thing" has a motown flair to it and "Hey Me, Hey Mama" has that "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" vibe. All good stuff though!
:thu:

How'd you like the "stalkerish" ode to Meg White?

At first the album did not grab me compared to his first two, but it definitely grows on you.

• Members

At first the album did not grab me compared to his first two, but it definitely grows on you.

I find this happens to most follow ups to albums you love. I think it's all perspective. I go into the first one with a open mind not a real opinion of the artist. When the new albums come around I'm comparing the songs to old friends I've been listening to for years. Definitely have to break it in get a real opinion..

• Members

LOL - I don't even know who Meg White is but I love the song. The lyrics are a little creepy though. :freak:

As a whole I like that the album isn't over-produced and many of the tracks have that 70s folk vibe that first drew me in in the first place. as I said in my previous post, not all of the tracks are exactly what I'd call "folksy" though they do seem to have a vintage vibe from the 60s and 70s. In addition to the other examples cited, a couple of songs evoke a sort of "Spaghetti Western" vibe as well.

FWIW I still like the first album more though, though. Not because it's necessarily better, but because of the way I stumbled across "Forver My Friend" on radioioacoustic.com. I thought it was an old Joe Cocker track and I had to have it, so imagine my surprise when I found out that the album was only a year old at the time. At the time I was coming out of a phase in my listening habits where I was listening to a lot of techno and trance so it was actually a bit refreshing to go "back to basics" where a single acoustic guitar with some sparse backing tracks - and a helluva vocal presence - could carry an arrangement and sound like a symphony.

Archived