New York Pro Acoustic Guitar Question

Frets

• Members

Anyone know how good they are? I read they are made in china with laminates. A local guitar shop has one for $159. But says he'll deal for $149. on it. Its a cutaway, in black and says it sounds fantastic.

I would like to hear if anyone has any information on these before I went to check it out.

Save me the time and gas money. :)

And before I decide to just order online.

• Members

A mom and pop store near me (Baton Music) sells NYP and I'm not impressed. Something about them screams "Cheap!" You should be able to find a Washburn, Alvarez, Yamaha, Epiphone, Samick, Cort, or other known brand for that money. Don't overlook used either.

• Members

I'm always suspect of a cheap guitar with black paint. Not a good combo.

The reason being paint can often conceal a multitude of sins.

Once instruments reach such cheap price points there tend to be too many short-cuts taken during manufacture. Especially tuners, timber and construction technique, which I suppose tends to relegate them to the no-go area of the musical instrument bargain basement. :eek:

• Members

I cant understand when these companies/ceo's will understand cheap just doesnt work. They are wasting time and money building these guitars and making a huge junk pile.

Whoorar for the internet. Or I would be a person owning a junk guitar from a local shop or broke and disgusted from traveling around looking for a good one.

Most all my local shops know when I call by my voice or the questions I ask. IF they dont they always ask who is calling or if I was in to look at the guitar. It seems as though since the internet is available they are nervous about selling the cheap ones they have it stock as they know those arent going to sell now that the information highway is here.

When I was a kid, parents usually took the teachers advise on what was a decent guitar to learn off. But when you got the guitar your ears told you somethings wrong or something else made you not like the guitar. At least with me it did. And thats coming from a guy that really cant play by ear yet.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

New York Pro was a Sam-Ash base brand for a few years, they are low quality but look nice. A good set up and they play nicely. I found a NYP hollow body jazz guitar on Facebook marketplace and talked the guy down to 40 dollars. They aren’t worth over 100 for any of the models. Since then I set the action, reworked the frets, changed the tuners, and swapped the nut. After the fact i play it often. I wouldn’t pay 150 for a NYP when you can get a good epiphone for that price. 

• 2 months later...

Archived