Ibanez Performance Series F5

EJStrat2Tone

• Members

I think it may also be known as Performance Series PF5

Can anyone tell me about this guitar? What the original list price was?

I saw it at Guitar Center used for 50 bucks and it played and sounded great! No string buzz at all and easy to chord.

It was a little scuffed up but I want to keep it at work. Probably laminate back and sides which is great, won't have to keep in a case.

Love to hear what anyone knows about this guitar.

Thanks

• Members

I've had a PF4, a PF5, and a couple of V70's. Decent little laminates once they've had a proper set-up. Tone is just okay compared to a Yamaha laminate, for example, but they are very playable and make good bang-abouts. If it's in good shape, then $50 is well spent. You can flog a nice clean one for $100 any day of the week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I own the PF10 CEDX N which is a long model name but essentially the precursor(grandaddy) to the PF5. The PF10 hasn't been on the market since '98 I think??? When Ibanez switched manufacturing for the PF series from Korea to China is suspiciously the same time the PF10 series disappeared and the PF5 materialized. There were other things downgraded in the process I'm sorry to say; "Solid spruce top" is now just "spruce top" which means laminated and I think the Grover tuners are now just Grover style tuners(no biggie) Beyond that I can't see much else different between the two. Great tuned to Open G and just an all around fun beater. Good deal there! Nice shopping.

• Members

I couldn't say what the original list was but that model typically sold for around $180 new. It's a decent all-laminated guitar and you got a great deal. Congratulations. You're now eligible for membership in the Ibanez Acoustic Assassins ;)

• Members

Ok after a weekend of playing the PF 5, I am totally amazed! Such a fantastic sounding guitar (and I have Martin d-28, hd-35, gibson AJ) especially for being part of a budget line. This guitar totally blows away the Epiphone Dove and is at least the equal of the Seagull line of guitars.

Here are some notes: Made In Korea. I believe the top to be solid wood because the sound is so loud (my Martin DXM is ALL LAMINATE and has a quiet bassey thudding type sound. great for apartments. No projection at all)

I looked at some pictures of the PF 5 and others in the series on the internet and that book "Ibanez The Untold Story" and the pickguard had a little pointed dip at the bottom, while my guitar had the same pickguard as a Martin, solid teardrop curve all the way around.

The guitar also has a slightly curved headstock top unlike what Ibanez acoustics have today and the lettering was in gold and looked suspiciously like Martin. In fact this guitar looks very much like a martin.

Would like to know if anyone has any further info on this guitar.

Here's the same guitar on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Performance-with-Custom-Hard-Case_W0QQitemZ130295669524QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item130295669524&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

• Members

Interesting. Korean made Ibanez guitars should have the Ibanez shaped pickguard and a sorta pointy bridge, like this:

pf5685.jpg

It looks as though yours may be a fairly old specimen that might have had the pickguard replaced. Regardless, congratulations on your new used Ibanez.

• Members

Interesting. Korean made Ibanez guitars should have the Ibanez shaped pickguard and a sorta pointy bridge, like this:

pf5685.jpg

It looks as though yours may be a fairly old specimen that might have had the pickguard replaced. Regardless, congratulations on your new used Ibanez.

Notice on the Ebay picture no PF in the headstock, while the picture you have, does have the PF.

And the ibanez lettering is in white (pearl?) on the headstock while my PF 5 has gold lettering similar to the martin style lettering.

• Members

Notice on the Ebay picture no PF in the headstock, while the picture you have, does have the PF.

And the ibanez lettering is in white (pearl?) on the headstock while my PF 5 has gold lettering similar to the martin style lettering.

Which leads me to believe that it may be an older model that was made prior to the cosmetic changes you mentioned.

• Members

There were a few PF5's each with slightly different headstock detail, print, binding, pickguard, and tuners. None were exceptional guitars by any stretch of the imagination, but decent entry level instruments nonetheless.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I have a pf5 that I bought back  in the early 90s still have it to this day incredible shape have a little bit of small dents no big deal the guitar Place incredible it says Ibanez performance the guitar Place incredible I bought it many years ago from American musician . Made in Korea one thing you can look at the serial number first four digits are the serial number are 293043708 that's the serial number. I took care of it over the years I've never done anything special to it had to put away for a long time the neck is an incredible shape the way is made it looks like a Martin incredible sound I'm blowing away with the way it sounds after all the years I just pulled it out today out of the case and believe it or not the guitar was still in tune today January 8th Friday 8:47 p.m. eastern time here I am reminiscing is it guitar sounds fantastic if you can find one of these guitars by it I also have the PF 10 acoustical electrical. These guitars are well made I will write another article and let you know will take a photograph of it  and submitted I love this guitar the Koreans make good instruments I also have many other guitars for some reason I like playing this particular guitar they just got some amazing sound it's hard to believe that this guitar with me so well sounds like an expensive guitar I don't remember right now how much I pay for it but I still have the original pf5 instructions book that came with the Ibanez guitar both of the pf10 in the pf5 if you have one like I did and never sold it to no one then you have a part of History because this guitar songs phenomenal it's been more than 10 years since I played it I was going through some stuff today and found it my pf5 and like I said it's on phenomenal if you find one that was taken care of buy it mine's is in pretty good shape half a small little dent on the top headstock it gives it it some character

Archived