old guitars - determining value

acousticbilly

• Members

So, a student of mine has this aged guitar (probably 30yrs old) that he was going to sell for a song. However, the potential buyer was so quick to agree to the offered price that he decided not to sell, thinking the guitar may be more valuable than he thought.

The question is, how can we find out what this guitar would be worth? The brand is Toredo (Model C600) - info on the web seems scarce, but I was able to determine that it was made by the Miesel Music company (which does not appear to make these guitars any longer). The serial number is also very low (I think #454, but can't remember for certain) - perhaps there were not many made of these, perhaps he just ended up with one from early in the series....

Anyway, if anyone could point me in the direction of any good resources for figuring out the value of this old guitar, that would be great.

• Members

Maybe the price was just so low that the buyer could not resist. I doubt that it's anything valuable.

Never heard of the brand. Was it made in Spain, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, or elsewhere?

You can try searching Ebay. If there are none for sale now try advanced search and check completed auctions.

You can also check out your local music stores to look it up in the Blue Book, or any other reference books dedicated to acoustics.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I have a Toredo Six String Acoustic.

Purchased in 1975 in Bloomsburg, PA.

Paid $150.00.

Laminate top.

Solid wood sides and back.

Always in tune.

Actually nice sound for a laminate.

Very good sound now that it is older.

Still not as nice as a good solid top acoustic.

• Members

Miesel was a wholesale house/distributor/jobber...probably the same guitar was sold/distributed by other folks or department stores with a different name on the headstock. What was the price the guitar was going for before you folks decided a quick sale was a clue that it was a valuable collector's item? Care to give a more detailed description or a photo of the item in question?

Sight unseen I figure about $70 ballpark would be fair. Usual disclaimers apply.

Archived