who here plays a takamine

takamine_j15e

• Members

My stepfather has one, looks exactly like the one posted by Jake7. I spent a lot of time with it before I got my own guitar. I liked it, very well constructed and great sounding guitar. They're on my short list for when I get one with a pickup. For un-amplified play I prefer Jumbos and Dreadnaughts though, the cutaway really kills the bottom end.

• Members

Takamine FD-360sc here. 1999.

Great sounding guitar, both acoustic and through a PA. Mine has the AD-1 digital pre-amp, which I've never actually seen before in another Tak. Eats batteries like crazy, which is the only down-side. I've had it for about 9 years or so, and I've played it pretty hard, so it's starting to show some wear. I like to think of it less as wear and more as character.

So, here's a bunch of big photos...

1184983475_75a76a9482_b.jpg

1184986319_3383b8f5c3_b.jpg

1185844866_2a1012275c_b.jpg

1185846160_b4e672640e_b.jpg

1185847074_a1345eec89_b.jpg

1185849226_60d967cb7a_b.jpg

1184993413_c7156b1eb2_b.jpg

1184997991_837b514626_b.jpg

And here is how it sounds. You'll have to ignore my vocals :cool:.

[YOUTUBE]DjEG2g-w5_4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I have the FP 360SC which is exactly like Brianwahl's except for a different pre amp, the "AccurAcoustic", so I won't post pics. Love this guitar for live gigs and anytime you need to plug in. Unamplified tone is great too. Solid top and rosewood back and sides. Great looking "native American" vibe in the design of the fret markers and sound hole. Made in the 1990s.

• Members

I wonder how alike our guitars are? They've both got "360s" in the model name.

Mine is spruce top, rosewood back/sides. They haven't made mine since 2000 or so...

No picture handy, but I have a Tak EF350 with that same digital pre-amp. I like the guitar, but never have liked the pre-amp. I'd have already replaced it with the cooltube preamp if cost were no object. I also have a Tak F395 12-string (late 70s Guild copy) that I hardly ever play, even though it's lovely.

• Members

:cry::cry::cry: Here's a pic of mine before the headstock broke off last year. A EG561C.... Second pic shows the damage. It's still not fixed, and I don't have any spare $$ so a luthier can fix it. What really sucks is that mine had great tone, I'm sure that if I get it repaired all that will change.

th_IMG_0695.jpg

th_IMG_1945smaller.jpg

• Members

Great looking "native American" vibe in the design of the fret markers and sound hole.

Yep. One of my favorite things about the guitar - definitely makes it unique and sets it apart, yet it's subtle enough that it's not over-the-top.

• Members

I think in Tak terminology, 360 denotes spruce/rosewood...."340" denotes spruce/mahogany and so on.

Mine has the cooltube pre, which also eats batteries, but it's worth it for the warmth.

DSC01909.jpg

• Members

I used to have a Takamine EG5303SC, it was awesome. Good (but not great) unplugged... plugged in, it was a dream.

dsc01019kky.jpg

I wrote most of my best songs on this guitar... I don't know why, but there was something special about this guitar... but I was forced to sell it for financial reasons. I wish I still had it.

BTW I think that's a Gsus4 I'm playing in that pic.

• Members

:cry:
Here's a pic of mine before the headstock broke off last year. A EG561C.... Second pic shows the damage. It's still not fixed, and I don't have any spare $$ so a luthier can fix it. What really sucks is that mine had great tone, I'm sure that if I get it repaired all that will change.

th_IMG_0695.jpg

th_IMG_1945smaller.jpg

A broken headstock on a black guitar isn't an incredibly difficult DIY job

• Members

By the way, I'm not too crazy about the DSP preamp. However, I've learned that all of the preamps are interchangeable on the pro-level Taks. You can drop a Cool Tube Preamp (CTP) or the one that comes on the current version of the GB7C (although I forget the model #), which is also a very nice pre. I will definitely replace the preamp, I just haven't changed it out, yet.

By the way, if you put in the CTP, it DOES go through batteries very badly, but you can get a very nice Direct Box from Takamine (manufactured by Radial - so it's a very good one), which powers the CTP so you don't need to change batteries all the time.

• Members

By the way, I'm not too crazy about the DSP preamp. However, I've learned that all of the preamps are interchangeable on the pro-level Taks. You can drop a Cool Tube Preamp (CTP) or the one that comes on the current version of the GB7C (although I forget the model #), which is also a very nice pre. I will definitely replace the preamp, I just haven't changed it out, yet.

By the way, if you put in the CTP, it DOES go through batteries very badly, but you can get a very nice Direct Box from Takamine (manufactured by Radial - so it's a very good one), which powers the CTP so you don't need to change batteries all the time.

Nice - so the cool tube unit will drop in our AD-1 slots? Never knew that...

I've been able to get some pretty good sounds out of this pre-amp, though.

• Members

Nice - so the cool tube unit will drop in our AD-1 slots? Never knew that...

I've been able to get some pretty good sounds out of this pre-amp, though.

Yeah, they are designed to just drop right in. Takamine admonishes people very strongly to take the guitar to an authorized Takamine service center for the switch, but they post directions for removing the preamps on their website, and it doesn't look difficult. You can get the pres on ebay for a LOT less than the Tak dealers charge. The CTP is the most expensive at $250. (It was quoted to me at $350, but I assume that was installed. So, they're charging you $100 for what is probably a five minute installation job.) The one that comes on the current model of the Garth Brooks guitar (the CT-4B) is really quite nice sounding, and it's only about $100.

When I first heard the dsp pre in the Tak, I absolutely hated it. I've since since learned to adjust it so it sounds better, but it still sounds a bit cheesy to my ears. So, I will eventually swap it out. Just a matter of getting the new one put in.

• Members

heck why not it took me a long time to get a tak if i had a chance though i'd trade mine for a flat top like a gb7c only thing thats stopping me is that i heard my guitar was only made between 81 and 83 and only 200 were imported into the usa

• Members

a few more pics of mine if i keep it i would like to update the pre amp in it

Very nice looking guitar. Keep in mind that this particular guitar does not have the "Sound Choice" preamp system. In other words, this is NOT one of those preamps that can simply be swapped out. There might be a way to put a different preamp in it, but there would be difficulties, not the least of which is that the other preamps appear to be smaller, which means that you would have to figure out how to fill the rest of the hole in the side of your guitar.

• Members

Here's a pic of mine before the headstock broke off last year. A EG561C.... Second pic shows the damage. It's still not fixed, and I don't have any spare $$ so a luthier can fix it. What really sucks is that mine had great tone, I'm sure that if I get it repaired all that will change.

th_IMG_0695.jpg

th_IMG_1945smaller.jpg

Some gorilla glue and careful clamping would probably do the trick and save the money you'd pay a luthier. It's too small to see but the 12 string in my avatar is a Washburn D10-12 that I bought (cheap...$35)with the headstock snapped off just under the first fret. Gorilla glued it together 3 years ago and it has been solid ever since. If a 12 string with the extra string tension holds together, it should work with a standard 6 string.

• Members

well I just joined this wild bunch yesterday, took delivery of my only Tak to date. Got it off the web in Japan and bid on it because I`d never seen a handwritten washi label on a Tak before, and also because it`s from 1963...a very early example of their work I discovered after looking around and seeing labels that said the company started up in `62. Looks like my photo web host is down at the moment but I posted pics of the newb in the Takamine thread I began yesterday, youse can look at it there if you care to.

Archived