"Ladies Night" Preston Reed, help me learn it

fuzzylogic220

• Members

I don't mean to offend but...ummm....is this the song he is trying to cover? If so...I think he fails massively.

[YOUTUBE]J1oU9_hy3mA[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry...but I am not really a fan of this type of guitar playing and why he would choose to cover this song (badly at that) is beyond me...:idk:

Sorry I can't be much help....

• Members

Sorry...but I am not really a fan of this type of guitar playing and why he would choose to cover this song (badly at that) is beyond me...
:idk:

Sorry I can't be much help....

uhh i hope its not suppose to be a cover :). cuz the orginal sux :).

how can you not be a fan of something so awesome

• Members

Obviously Preston Reed is a talented musician and I would never take that away from him or his fans but...I am just not a big fan of that "style" of playing. Just like I am not a fan of Yngwie Malms...whatever yet he is hugely talented and can play circles around me. I prefer less pyrotechnic playing I guess. In the case of Mr. Reed I would agree that what he does is unique but a lot of it sounds like (in my opinion) utter nonsense to me...again I am not trying to start this type of debate. I do think it is cool that you want to learn his style and that song though and I respect anyone for that.

I was mostly just curious about if he was in fact trying to cover the Kool & The Gang song of the same name. :idk:

Good luck...I hope someone here can help you.

• Members

OMG. well you know, incredibly, but for the missing driving disco bass, it does bear some resemblance to the Kool tune.

Not a fan of all the tapping myself, either, but here is his website "contact" page. and here's an email address for him.

Ask him. Might surprise you that you'll get an answer.

someone on his message board can probably help if all else fails. I find most acoustic musicians are fairly approachable.

• Members

You can purchase the tab rather reasonably here

http://www.marahaleymusic.com/reed.html

And here's another excellent Preston Reed song, toned down a bit for OldGuitarPlayer! :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSVyCcGDNbQ

Actually, the Preston Reed version of this is even too manic for me. But 12 year old Macyn's is just right. I was so impressed I bought the tab from the site above. (and now I'm a big Macyn Taylor fan. She also turned me on to John Fahey's Last Steam Engine Train with her excellent rendition on YouTube!)

Good luck with Ladies Night.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Getting the Preston Reed DVD will help you a lot. The first tune taught on that DVD is in the CGDGGD tuning. By the time you're done with the DVD, you will have acquired the skills to tackle on his other tunes - especially how to play syncopated rhythms with both hands.

Archived