Avalon Guitars...Anybody have one?

runnrdad

• Members

Yep.

I have some.

My son plays one.

My brother gigs one

This isn't because of any connection with the maker, or any emotional attachment. Quite simply, on one more than one occassion they have provided the best value, best built, best sounding guitar in the category I was looking for.

The fact that they are almost bewildering helpful to deal with, and totally straight is a real bonus.

Avalon have settled down after the Lowden split, and the current business model has them imho producing the best instruments they ever have. No CNC, just artist/craftsmen turning out 300 - 400 guitars a year, from quality woods, some highly innovative, but always happy with customer wishes.

I class them as one of the best kept secrets, but as the current crop gets out in to players hands that isn't going to last. Certainly they are what visiting players gravitate towards :)

If pics or clips any use let me know...

Or if you really want the inside experience contact JB via Avalon Guitars web site. He'll make sure you can get whatever you want with no difficulty.

If you visit the site they have sound clips and you tube site of happy players

Hope this helpful

Be well :)

• Members

I am that son!

What sort of thing are you looking to do? The new Americana series make me go :love: :love: :love: - I hear the jumbo is a better D-45 than most D-45s, I've only played the little ones though.

My Avalon's a cutaway jumbo with a few special bits and pieces, I'll post piccies tomorrow if anyone's interested. Bonus points for anyone who can identify the tonewood on the back and sides...

• Members

Thanks for the info. I went to their website...the prices are VERY high. While I'm sure the product is top quality, with no US dealer network it seems like it would be a safer bet to buy a Martin or a Taylor for the same or less money. And if I've read the material correctly, only some of the guitars are made in Northern Ireland? Maybe I'll wait for one to show up on ebay when "irishguitars" puts one up for sale.

Thanks again, for the help.

• Members

Thanks for the info. I went to their website...the prices are VERY high. While I'm sure the product is top quality, with no US dealer network it seems like it would be a safer bet to buy a Martin or a Taylor for the same or less money. And if I've read the material correctly, only some of the guitars are made in Northern Ireland? Maybe I'll wait for one to show up on ebay when "irishguitars" puts one up for sale.

Thanks again, for the help.

Two places I know of in NY, both excellent, carry Avalon guitars:

1) Rudy's Music Stop on 48th St.

http://www.rudysmusic.com/

2) Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island

http://mandoweb.com/

One cool thing about the latter is that the Gold Series Avalons carried by Mandolin Bros. are made in Ireland exclusively for Mandolin Bros. Ordinarily, the Gold Series is made in Asia. So it is possible to get a very good price in a Made-in-Ireland git. Also, if you're not local, Mandolin Bros. has a ROFR (Right of First Refusal) program where you can order a stock model they carry but which is not in stock, for something like a $100 refundable deposit. If the git comes in and it's not what you expected, it can be returned and your payment, including the deposit, is refundable if within their review period. I've bought instruments from them this way before, but this was a few years ago so you may want to double check with them on whether or not these policies are still current.

I've played a couple of the Gold Series dreads at MB, and one or two high end jumbos at Rudy's. Seriously amazing instruments, all. I'd own one of their jumbos now if I hadn't been burned by an eBay scuzzball a few years back.

• Members

The only way to buy Avalon in the UK is either used or factory direct with no opportunity to play first-unless you visit the factory which involves either a flight or a boat trip from mainland Great Britain. There's no question that they are beautiful looking instruments but, like women, I never judge by looks alone!;)

• Members

I see a few of the old ghosts are still haunting Avalon, it's strange the way wrong stuff can last.

NO Avalon guitars are now made anywhere other than Ireland. There was a period when the company went the popular 'outsourceing' route with lower end'Silver' stuff from Korea and some medium 'Gold' from Furch in Czechoslovakia, however this ended a while back.

This didn't work out, essentially because the appetite at Avalon is for the production of high quality instruments, by hand, to very high standards - albeit in smaller numbers.

These aren't factory volume made guitars, as I said 300-400 a year, and a fair proportion of those to order, so not every guitar shop in the land is going to have some, let alone the full range; but they are available from UK dealers.

As for the prices on the site; those are MRSP, which as we all know is a bit of a wish list and are obviously subject to discount.

I know that instruments are shipped all over the world, with no problem, and without an intervening retailer having a bite at them.

So as I said earlier, if you are interested contact them via the site or ring and speak to JB - all will be made clear.

Have a look at the Avalon Forum and see what folks say about the customer experience - never mind the guitars

As for taking a flight to visit. Belfast City Airport is about twenty minutes away from the Avalon workshops. I fly back and forth from that Airport fairly regularly and usually for about

• Members

I see a few of the old ghosts are still haunting Avalon, it's strange the way wrong stuff can last.

NO Avalon guitars are now made anywhere other than Ireland. There was a period when the company went the popular 'outsourceing' route with lower end'Silver' stuff from Korea and some medium 'Gold' from Furch in Czechoslovakia, however this ended a while back.

This didn't work out, essentially because the appetite at Avalon is for the production of high quality instruments, by hand, to very high standards - albeit in smaller numbers.

These aren't factory volume made guitars, as I said 300-400 a year, and a fair proportion of those to order, so not every guitar shop in the land is going to have some, let alone the full range; but they are available from UK dealers.

As for the prices on the site; those are MRSP, which as we all know is a bit of a wish list and are obviously subject to discount.

I know that instruments are shipped all over the world, with no problem, and without an intervening retailer having a bite at them.

So as I said earlier, if you are interested contact them via the site or ring and speak to JB - all will be made clear.

Have a look at the Avalon Forum and see what folks say about the customer experience - never mind the guitars

As for taking a flight to visit. Belfast City Airport is about twenty minutes away from the Avalon workshops. I fly back and forth from that Airport fairly regularly and usually for about

• Members

Lurking Lowden owner here. :wave:

Most of the Avalons I've played are fantastic and compare favorably with my Lowden. But I played a dread that was significantly cheaper and I was completely unimpressed. It might have been one of the "Silver" models described above.

• Members

From Wikipedia:

June 2000

Differences had begun to develop between the directors of the company. After a period, unable to influence the direction or policies of the Lowden Guitar Company, George felt that his position within the company had become very ambiguous. Reluctantly, George decided to resign as a director. He would continue to influence quality solely through the provisions of the design licence first established in 1989, whilst continuing to build his own custom guitars in his workshop at home.

August 2000 to September 2001

A series of decisions were made within the Licensee Company (the Lowden Guitar Company) without reference to George, concerning guitar specifications and quality control. George discovered the effects of these decisions later during visits to the factory, and this severely damaged his confidence that the integrity of his guitar designs and specifications would be maintained or indeed that the terms of the licence were being respected. After many failed attempts to establish alternative dispute resolution processes over a period of some 11 months, George served a high court writ for what he believed were serious breaches of contract. The company denied all charges, and after more than 18 months of legal action including a counterclaim by the company and additional claims by George, the matter was finally settled by agreement at the court door. The aim of this agreement was to allow a way forward for both parties by limiting further damage and providing a basis for separation.

The directors of the Lowden Guitar Company changed the name of it

• Members

I own an Avalon Silver Series A/E. Solid cedar over lam mahogany. Extremely high level of build quality. Same proprietary Avalon bracing pattern, I believe. Tonally, just average I guess. Don't play it much.

I used to have one of the Furch-made Gold Series, cedar over rosewood and all solid. Beautiful fingerstyle tone. Sold it and wish I had it back. Oddly, the Silver Series seems to be more faithful to the old Lowden body shapes. The Gold was a more common mini-jumbo shape with a less rounded upper bout.

Archived