Epiphone Masterbilt dr-500r

Okieslims

• Members

I sold my acoustic a year or so ago... I'm getting another soon.

Anybody have any experience with these? I might have a new one lined up for 499.00.

If you have experience with the guitar, please weigh in and let me know if this acoustic hangs with the heavies or not. If it's overhyped, please suggest something else in the price range if you will...

Muey Thanks

• Members

I had one for awhile, sounded great.... unfortunately the rumors of it being prone to cracking are very very very TRUE. Mine was in the cold for about 15 seconds and cracked, no joke. Went right back to GC. Was a shame too because I had gotten a great deal on it, paid about 380.

I recommend going to GC and trying every guitar in the 300-550 range. A few of the ones I like are...

-Epiphone masterbuilt (mostly the DRs, the AJs are little brighter to my ears, not as appealing sounding to me)

-Yamaha FG series.. a little cheaper than the masterbuilt but they sound great as well

-Martin 1 series.. cheap looking finishes but they sound pretty good

-Seagull Maritime Cedar Gloss Dreadnought .. sounds really really quite good, I was very impressed by this one

-Breedlove passport ... cheap looking finish once again but I think this brand of guitar is underrated.

-Guild GAD series.. sounded great as well

That's all I got.

-

• Members

That's scary..

I had a guild D30 from the rhode island plant a while back ago, and it started buzzing badly out of the blue... I noticed a lump right behind the bridge.. it was coming up.. had to go to a luthier 2 times and sounded a little less elegant each time I got it back..

Acoustics are scary like that though. The best acoustics imo, are super thin and delicate like old gibsons.. they just have something wonderful in the tone that comes from the wood being so thin I suppose. But, they are also prone to damage..

I'm going to GC tomorrow and getting my hands on everything they got under 750.00. Thanks for the heads up on the cracking issue

• Members

I've never owned one but I. too, have heard the cracking rumors. Anything I've ever owned from Epiphone has been good for the money. they do all their own production now at the Gibson factory that they built in china(I've read) so that cracking problem might not exist anymore. Any guitar can crack in extreme temperature changes by the way.

BigAl ;)

• Members

Every one of the Yamaha FG series I've played has been a winner, and I've played several in the stores as well as the ones my students own. All around good guitars.

While at GC, check out the Takamine GS430S. It was a major contender in my recent research for guitars, and I may still end up getting one down the road. I played three different ones and the quality control was consistent (only the last one I played had dud strings on it -- no fault of Tak). It's a mini jumbo size -- Tak calls it NEX -- and it really sings and the neck is sweet.

$750 is going to give you plenty of headroom to find a guitar. Be sure to get a good hardshell case.

• Members

If you are going up to $750, try to find a LL16 Yamaha to play... they are exceptional instruments for the money.

Quite a few used guitars fall into that price range too. Many Guilds, Larrivees etc. Tough choice depending on what sound and style you look for in a guitar.

• Members

I'm not big on guilds anymore. My d30 was good for fingerpicking, but when I played chords, the thing boomed with bass and would drown the highs.

I'm gonna try to find a nice blended guitar this time. Something balanced.

I'm going to definitely look into the other suggestions from you guys though. Thanks.

and I would be trolling craigslist, but I have a 750 limit with the use of layaway.. I will never be able to hold onto that money without it.. lol.. I rack discipline!

• Members

I had an AJ-500M that I loved. I had the guitar for a year and I had no problems with cracking, but I was careful to keep it humidified. The guitar sounded great, and was well put together and played well. There was a cosmetic defect in the top finish at the end of the fingerboard, but it never bothered me.

I had it for a year and then gave it to my son for his birthday to start on.

• Members

You have been given much good advice

The best thing is to get out and look at/play as many different makes/models as possible, Something will stand out the best to you.......

It was funny last time I was out shopping I played guitars that were mostly in the 700-1000.00 price range, what spoke to me the most ended up being a 350.00 guitar. So learn the lesson, do not worry about the name on the headstock, or what it costs (As long as it is in your reach) Worry about what sounds and p;ays right to you, Chances are you will stumble into something that says HEY I am the one, you know you want me and have to have me! That is probably the guitar for you!

Oh and of course it will not hurt to keep your eyes open for a Crafter Dealer, try some of them out.....they also have some nice guitars!

• Members

As for the cracking, I never had that problem. I usually take pretty good care of my git though, and avoid any harsh weather. I personally love the DR-500R and for only about $500, I think its a steal.

But also check out the Yamahas and the Seagulls in your price range. They tend to have just as good of a sound as the masterbilts (I still think masterbilts are better).

I'm not a big fan of the Martin X series b/c they don't use all solid woods, but many of them do still sound great.

• Members

They're very lightly built...which can make for a nice sounding guitar in the showroom...but maybe also a guitar with a short lifespan. Not just structurally in the form of cracks and needing a reset early, but the sound might change in a bad way over time if the soundboard is underbuilt. Muddy and boomy without any bell trebles or projection.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of the Martin X series b/c they don't use all solid woods, but many of them do still sound great.

Forget solid, they don't even use wood. The back and sides are HPL, otherwise known as Formica.

Yuck.

• Members

I would advise not to worry too much about solid wood, laminate, and what not... if it sounds good, who cares what was used to make the guitar? My favorite sounding acoustic is an EKO ranger XII, and that thing is 100% laminate (and has been missing some back braces for 20+ years which hasn't seemed to be much of a problem)

• Members

I think they sound great, but you could probably find one used on ebay for 350-400 with the case. The resale value is pretty low for some reason. I used to have the ef-500r and I came out good since they don't show up on ebay very often. How about trying a Johnson Carolina, the Recording King, or Blueridge as well?

Archived