Need help buying a Seagull!

ravisurdhar

• Members

So I've got about $600 to spend on an acoustic and I really like Seagull's offerings. Their necks are really comfortable for me (my main guitar is a 7-string Ibanez, so I like the bigger neck), and I think they sound great. However, I have a few questions:

The only ones I've been able to find in stores are the Original and Coastline series, but I think I'd prefer a Performer series just by looking at the specs (Spruce and Maple, plus the Performers have the cutaway, which I definitely want). How do the Performers compare (feel, acoustics, etc) to the Original and Coastlines?

I've seen tons of different versions of the S6, to the point where I feel like any guitar that Seagull makes could be called an S6. Is an S6 necessarily an Original series?

What's the difference (acoustically) between the QI and QII pickups? It seems like the QII is a much better pickup, but from what the website shows, Seagull doesn't make guitars with the QII anymore? What gives? Is it still possible to get a new Seagull with a QII?

Finally, I found a Performer on eBay that the seller says is model number 29488. I looked this up, however, and I found that its an "S6+ CW Cedar GT QII". Its listed as having a cedar top and cherry back/sides. So I'm really confused because it's listed as a Performer, but it's called an S6 and has cedar/cherry, which sounds exactly like an Original (Performers are supposed to have Spruce and Maple, and they're not called S6's...are they?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

• Members

Your post is very precise! I think you should email Godin themselves. I'm afraid to give you bad information!

This is their email address: info@seagullguitars.com

I'm sure they will reply!

If it can help you, I have a Seagull Maritime Mini-Jumbo + Spruce + High Gloss + QII + built in tuner.

I also have a Seagull Coastline (S6) + Spruce dreadnought. It says "Coastline S6 Spruce" on the sticker inside! This one doesn't have electronic.

The Coastline is good but the Maritime is even better. The Coastline has laminated Wild Cherry back and sides. The Maritime has laminated mahogany back and sides and is very similar to the Perfomers I've seen... if not the same!

edit: the new Performers have flame maple back and sides (pretty sure it's laminated...) it changed because the first Performers had laminated mahogany back and sides!

Since the specs can change from one year to another, you should contact Seagull for more information!

• Members

About Seagull:

I think they have had success with their two 25th anniversary models and they decided to go "all solid wood" with the Maritime series just like this one: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-25th-Anniversary-Dreadnaught-Guitar?sku=516401#new

And laminated flame maple back and sides + electronic just like the other 25th anniversary: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-25th-Anniversary-Dreadnaught-AE-Guitar?sku=516403#new

Watch out before you buy a guitar with (laminated) maple... It may sound very clear if not thin unplugged. Be sure you like it better than mahogany or rosewood!

:wave:

• Members

As far as model numbers and names are concerned, here's a chart of specs from Seagull:

http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.htm

In my experience, the only S6's I've encountered have been from the Original, though Misha's post would suggest that they stamp the S6 label on guitars from their other lines as well.

On the subject of pickups, the QII is definitely the better system of the two. The QII utilizes both an undersaddle transducer and an electret microphone and comes with a few extra controls as well. The QII sounds quite similar to the LR Baggs Duet (UST and an LR Baggs iBeam) that Seagull used to use in their higher end guitars. The UST comes in handy when playing on a noisy stage because it's more resistant to feedback, but the electret microphone will more give you a more accurate representation of what the guitar truly sounds like. If you're willing to buy used, a Seagull with a LR Baggs Duet would be very similar to one with a QII.

From what I gather, Seagull's in the process of changing around some of their stuff. I think they may have added a line or two in the past year and they've switched around their electronics a little bit as well. Like I said before, they used to use the LR Baggs Duet for some of their higher-end stuff, and they're not doing that anymore.

Like Misha suggested, your best bet would probably be contacting Seagull directly. Perhaps the guitar you saw on eBay was an older model, from a time when the Performer series used cedar tops?

• Members

Well, after looking around a *ton* and evaluating the cost (and my bank account)...I ended up pulling the trigger on an Artist Portrait CW with the QII electronics. :) Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides. The best part was the price: $889, brand new, including case, free shipping, from MusiciansBuy.com. Good deal?

I can't wait till it gets here! It looks absolutely beautiful...probably sounds even better.

• Members

Well, after looking around a *ton* and evaluating the cost (and my bank account)...I ended up pulling the trigger on an Artist Portrait CW with the QII electronics.
:)
Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides. The best part was the price: $889, brand new, including case, free shipping, from MusiciansBuy.com.
Good deal?

I can't wait till it gets here! It looks absolutely beautiful...probably sounds even better.

All Seagulls are, by definition, a good deal no matter what you pay for them :cop:.

OK...so maybe they're not THAT good, but then again, no guitar is :).

I'd say you definitely got a good deal. If you can, pictures and sound clips would be great!

• Members

I think you got a good deal too!

Enjoy it when it arrives and post pics and clips too! We want to hear it!

... And do yourself a favour, at least try a set of John Pearse 550 SL (SL = slighty light) on it and tell me what you think! ;)

http://www.suncreekmusic.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/40/products_id/762?osCsid=c14856cc3364be663733ff30052ae796

:wave:

• Members

Thanks guys! I'll definitely post pics when she arrives...which will be in 2+ weeks. :( I got a call yesterday from Musicians Buy saying their computer goofed and the one that they thought they had in stock actually didn't exist. Figures. So they're going to order one from Godin (which will take about a week), and then ship it to me (another week). They're keeping the same price though, so I'm fine with it.

And I'll definitely check out those strings! I've always been a big fan of D'addario for my electric, but I don't mind trying out a few different brands for my new acoustic.

P.S. if anyone is looking for another good deal on a high-end seagull, they have a Peppino with no pickup for $910! I asked them about it on the phone and they were like, "uhhh, that's not supposed to be that low...but if you want it, I'll give it to you for that price." Link here: http://www.musiciansbuy.com/SEAGULL_ARTIST_PEPPINO_ACOUSTIC_NO_P_U-NO-KIT.html

Archived