Finally got my guitars back from the luthier

u6crash

• Members

I have mixed emotions. I'm glad to have them back. Okay, here's the story.

Guitar 1: Carvin C850

c850.jpg

I bought this guitar maybe five or six years ago. It was my one and only for a long time. Then one day I dropped it and made it all kinds of nasty.

damage_04.jpg

I was so mad at the time and didn't know what to do about it, but knew at the very least I'd be without a guitar while it was being repaired, so I ordered Guitar 2 a day or two later.

Guitar 2: Carvin C350

c350.jpg

Although the C350 doesn't have the cutaway or electronics (I added the La Jolla pickup later) or fancy appointments like the C850, I loved it immediately and it's been my only acoustic for the last two years while my C850 sat waiting to be sold/repaired/parted out/whatever. Finally I put enough fret wear on the C350 that they both needed to go in and I took them in on June 13.

The guy I take them to is real nice and from what I can tell from past work, really good at his job. However, when I took them in he told me about a week or two. He stressed that most of his jobs are major repairs and he liked to get the small stuff out fast. I called him July 2nd or 3rd and he told me maybe by the end of the next week and he would call me and let me know when he knew for sure that they would be done. More waiting. Finally I got a hold of him Wednesday and he said he could have them ready by today.

Now they're home and I was all excited, but I'm actually a little disappointed in the C850. It's been so long since I've played that I can't remember what it felt like before or how it sounded. The action is a lot higher on the C850 than the C350 and I don't remember it being that way when I got it. Of the two he said maybe the C350 would need a truss rod adjustment.

So I'm strumming the C850 and it looks like the strings are ancient on it. Is it possible that he carefully removed the strings on it and restrung it with whatever was on there originally? I'm going to change them now and see how the sound improves. It could also be that I've never played the two side by side so I didn't realize how much difference the barn door electronics and cutaway make.

I'm going to read some things and see what I can do to lower the action on the C850 without buying tools I don't have, but maybe it is just the way it was built.

Anyway, that's my rant. Carry on.

• Members

You might want to go to the Annex (sticky or pink thing in my sig), go to the Tech tab and read the two Sick Guitar articles. After that we can discuss what to do next

Thank you! I remember seeing this before, but wasn't sure where to find it. I do not have all the things I need to run the tests, but I'll try and scrounge up a yard stick soon.

Archived