best guitar i ever heard.

jags

• Members

took a trip to my local music store last week to try out the yamaha L series a f series, to my surprize they dont sell yamaha guitars there, better still you cant buy yamaha in ireland.

so i tryed the seagull and simon and patrick,breed love never heard of that make,one or two others ,ah none of them where worth writing home about .so i decided i would try the martin d28 emm very nice then i went for taylor dont know what model fantastic guitar but the guitar that blew the whole lot of them away ,was the lowden my god unbelivable guitars each model i played was brilliant,i could just imagine what a guitar like this woild sound in the hand's of a really good player.

so what say you boy's and girls on these guitars,would it be worth investing in one, to pass on to my grandkid's.

jags

• Members

I have a Taylor too. I definitely know what you're talking about; pick up their $700 "beginner's" guitar (114; solid spruce top/sapele laminate back/sides) and prepare to leave all former experience with sub-grand guitars behind. This thing makes a big sound, very well balanced, and highly responsive. The neck was a bit wider than I was used to (I'd gotten used to my Strat) but very playable. Then I plugged it into an Acoustasonic and was blown away by the transparency of the amplified sound. This thing beats any other piezo I have heard by miles. It is now my main acoustic (the little $100 Takamine dread I learned on has been relegated to outdoor/beater duty) and I use it more often than any other guitar in my stash.

As for Breedlove, it's another American brand, relatively new, started by former Taylor luthiers. Depending on your price range, you may have gotten one of their Asian imports (the Passport series are I believe all Chinese-made) or you may have just gotten a bad one. I was very impressed with the $500-700 Breedloves I've tried, but I wanted an acoustic-electric when I bought my latest, which put the Breedloves that would otherwise have been in my price range out of it.

• Members

I have a Taylor too. I definitely know what you're talking about; pick up their $700 "beginner's" guitar (114; solid spruce top/sapele laminate back/sides) and prepare to leave all former experience with sub-grand guitars behind. This thing makes a big sound, very well balanced, and highly responsive. The neck was a bit wider than I was used to (I'd gotten used to my Strat) but very playable. Then I plugged it into an Acoustasonic and was blown away by the transparency of the amplified sound. This thing beats any other piezo I have heard by miles. It is now my main acoustic (the little $100 Takamine dread I learned on has been relegated to outdoor/beater duty) and I use it more often than any other guitar in my stash.

Funny you mention the Taylor 114CE pickup (plugged in). I heard one recently at an open mic and figured the guy had a mic in front of the guitar. It sounded that natural!! Never heard such a natural sounding UST (peizo) before. Better than even the Takamine Tube preamp (CTP) equipped models IMO. They sure got it right on that guitar, which is very surprising considering the many many complaints I read about pertaining to the ES found in their more expensive models.

• Members

Yeah I've played a few Lowdens, nearly pulled the trigger on an o32 a couple of years back. Amazing sounding guitars. Although the neck was a little wide for my taste.

If I ever win the lottery, I'd get a custom built Lowden. Simply beautiful guitars.

(BTW I think they were asking about

• Members

i asked the same question from the owner of the store,he told me the agent who brought the yamaha range into ireland went bust and nobody took it on .

which is a big pity ,but with the recession here nobody will take a chance, can't blame them i suppose.

ah i tell you after listening to lowden i would find it hard to buy anything else.not that im a good player im not can't even sing ,but i love the sound of a guitar nothing like it( imho). oh i can play chords and sit in on a session but i would not call myself a guitar player by any means.

no i'll hang on another while ,but it will be mine.