GuitarViol

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Damn, that's a nice looking film. Will order soon from Amazon.

Yes, Jonathan Wilson of Togaman has done a lot of research on viols, including gamba, in designing his GuitarViol instruments. He has a separate discussion forum just for gamba.

• Members

i saw the gamba played in concert in williamsburg virginia last year. period music for colonial america and it was amazing to consider that if you wanted music in your home you either had to make it or hire someone to play it. the other instruments were a harpsicord from the late 1700's, violin and english flute. whats the diff between english flute and recorder... well a recorder costs $5 and is made of plastic while an english flute costs ~ $2,500 and is made of hardwood. otherwise no diff.

• Members

i saw the gamba played in concert in williamsburg virginia last year. period music for colonial america and it was amazing to consider that if you wanted music in your home you either had to make it or hire someone to play it. the other instruments were a harpsicord from the late 1700's, violin and english flute. whats the diff between english flute and recorder... well a recorder costs $5 and is made of plastic while an english flute costs ~ $2,500 and is made of hardwood. otherwise no diff.

The viola de gamba Charles had is kinda a fluke...it was built from a kit by his father, who'd never built an instrument before (or since, for that matter), but it turned out amazingly nice...several folks have played it and all thought it was an antique!

• Members

:confused:

I have to say that this is some seriously obscure {censored}. I love it! I saw a bunch of videos on You Tube from these guys who make guitars out of cigar boxes. Seriously! And these guys can PLAY!!!

It all just reminds me that there are so many staggeringly talented people out there that do stuff to make music that I can't fathom doing! Guitarviols? Cigar boxes?

WTF?:facepalm: How come I wasn't born talented instead of just rich and good looking?;)

In all seriousness, once I got into this whole music thing and started to gain an appreciation for the amount of talent out there, I completely stopped listening to music on the radio. The stuff on the radio is so crappy for the most part, and there is so much to listen to and learn from in other venues! I love it!

-Play on!

Archived