Should nuts have the same radius at the fretboard?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

With the bass side being a little higher, of course. Got the bone nut I ordered from StewMac, and it is a perfect fit other than the radius. The fretboard radius is 10" and the nut radius is 18".

So let me get this straight........ You have a radius scale, and measure the radius of both the Neck and the Nut.

Now knowing the differences between the both sets of measurements and you ask here if they (the measurements) should be the same. :facepalm:

• Members

So let me get this straight........ You have a radius scale, and measure the radius of both the Neck and the Nut.

Now knowing the differences between the both sets of measurements and you ask here if they (the measurements) should be the same.
:facepalm:

I think he's just after a concensus. I would ask too, just to be sure before I did anything rash. Not a bad plan.

• Members

With the bass side being a little higher, of course. Got the bone nut I ordered from StewMac, and it is a perfect fit other than the radius. The fretboard radius is 10" and the nut radius is 18".

New nuts tend to have more meat on them :rolleyes: to ease fitting/modifying. Don't worry, but take it for granted that you'll have some material to remove before it becomes part of the instrument/set-up.

Nut radius is primarily dictated by five factors

1. Fingerboard radius

2. First fret radius.

(Both 1 & 2 tie in together.)

3. String action at first fret.

4. Amount of nut remaining above the slot bases after dressing it to suit string heights.

5. Neck relief.

The simplest method for fitting a new nut is to copy it's profile and string spacing from the existing one, before setting string action.

Archived