Acoustic Recommendations - $350

mzx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah. I'm still debating between the Yamaha FG720S and FG730S and Alvarez M60 and M60. :poke:

The Alvarezs' prices are definitely a steal, but the wait is difficult.

I prefer the shape/size of the FG720S over the 3 other guitars. However, its build is slightly inferior to the other 3. It's such a difficult decision.

As for the case for the Yamaha FG720S, because of its shape, do you think it will fit into standard dreadnought hard case comfortably without moving around too much? An example:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Deluxe-Dreadnought-Case?sku=540945

Are you sure you're not meaning the FS720S instead of the FG720S?

FG720S:

230865.jpg

FS720S:

482230.jpg

• Members

Oh jeez. I've been mistyping it the whole time and didn't even realize it.

I meant to type FS720S. Do you have any experience with them?

I know stackabones does, and he might have linked you to some clips he has earlier in the thread.

I've played one, and it's nice. It's comfortable, cause of its body size, but the depth is as deep as an FG730S. The depth provides more volume, but the overall volume is still smaller than a dreadnought, simply because of the body style. It's a trade-off.

The neck is the same as on an FG730S, as far as size goes, if I recall correctly. So, it was comfortable for me to play, and like I said, I have small, fat hands.

But that's just from a short time with it. stackabones would be better equipped to give you a rundown.

As for the case, I can't comment on that with positivity. I'd assume it would fit in a standard dreadnought case, but I've never tried.

Here's an image I found of an FS720S (middle) next to an FG730S (right):

sizesweb.jpg

• Members

mzx,

The OM-size guitars from Yamaha (FS720S, LS6, LS16, etc.) emphasize the mid-range more than the dred-size models (FG730S, LL6, LL16, etc.)

I have an LS6 and the FG730S. They're both very nice, but don't sound much alike. I prefer the LS6 for fingerstyle play (more articulate, softer bass, strong mids and ringing highs), and the FG730S for strumming/bluegrass type stuff (louder, thumpier bass).

Now of course, you certainly can play fingerstyle stuff on an FG, and strumming sing-a-longs on the LS6 (or FS720S), but one excells at one thing, and the other the other :)

• Members

Thanks for the information.

I play with both a pick and finger style, so which guitar offers the most clearance for the fingers? I don't need a guitar with booming bass either, just clarity and brightness (but not too much of course). Do you think the FS720S can offer this?

Also, does anyone knows if a standard dreadnought case will fit the FS720S?

• Members

Thanks for the information.

I play with both a pick and finger style, so which guitar offers the most clearance for the fingers? I don't need a guitar with booming bass either, just clarity and brightness (but not too much of course). Do you think the FS720S can offer this?

Also, does anyone knows if a standard dreadnought case will fit the FS720S?

When you say "clearance for the fingers"... are you asking about room for your fretting hand (usually left), or your picking/strumming hand (usually right)?

If you want a little more fingering room (for your left, or fretting hand), you might want to consider the Yamaha LS6 (et. Al.). One of the reasons I chose the LS6 (over the FS720S) was because the LS6 has a 1 3/4" nut width, while the FS720S has 1 11/16" nut width (which is "standard" for most dreds, as well as all Yamaha FG and FS models, except for "The FG" (a limited-edition $1500 guitar out this year).

But really, you need to go try these -- I love my LS6, but I wouldn't want it (or the FS720S) to be my ONLY guitar. What I'm saying is, you might prefer the SOUND of a dred over an OM style/size -- and that's what matters most.

• Members

I meant my strumming hand, but it's not a big deal.

The Yamaha LS6 is way over my price range, so that is not an option.

Is the sound of the FS720S really that inferior to the FG730S?

I wouldn't call it inferior. It's just different. The 720 isn't meant to be a heavy strummer. It's good enough for some people, but the 720 is built for the fingerpicker inside all of us. When strummed, it won't have as much response across the wide range of tones as a dreadnought will have.

I fingerpick on all my guitars, and it's nice and comfortable.

For what it's worth, here's a song me and a buddy recorded. I'm the first guitar to begin playing. It's fingerstyle with the MD60, with the fleshy part of my fingers, not fingernails: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7877097

• Members

I wouldn't call it inferior. It's just different. The 720 isn't meant to be a heavy strummer. It's good enough for some people, but the 720 is built for the fingerpicker inside all of us. When strummed, it won't have as much response across the wide range of tones as a dreadnought will have.

I fingerpick on all my guitars, and it's nice and comfortable.

For what it's worth, here's a song me and a buddy recorded. I'm the first guitar to begin playing. It's fingerstyle with the MD60, with the fleshy part of my fingers, not fingernails:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7877097

Um, what he said. :rolleyes:

In some ways, my LS6 definitely sounds better than my FG730S (and vice-versa). And before anyone says "no fair" comparing an L-series to an FG: they're both spruce over lam rosewood (albiet the L is Engleman), and are in the $300-$500 range.

Now, if I were in your shoes, I'd find it VERY hard to NOT buy the MD60 or MD80 (yes, even sight-unseen, and unplayed, first). Just too good of a deal to pass up. And this is coming from a true Yamaha fan.

Unless of course, you WANT the virtues of a lam-backed guitar (stronger, more stable, etc.). I mean, especially with the FG730S, it's not like you're really going to be compromising on the sound! In fact, my son and I just went to a local guitar shop today, and I played several Alvarez models (a few A's and a few M's). They (esp. the M's) were very nice (all were in the $500-$600 range, though some were acoustic-electrics). Maybe ONE of them was better (in some ways) than my FG730S, and the rest were about the same (and some worse, for various reasons).

But to give you an idea of how good of a deal the current Alvarez models are... the "same thing" in a Yamaha (all solid wood, from their higher-end L-series) would be the LL16 (Engleman spruce over rosewood) at $750 (and that's a VERY aggressive/reasonable price). The LL16 is maybe a bit nicer (ebony fretboard and bridge, rosewood, etc.), but with the Alvarez clearance, you could buy BOTH the MD60 and MD80 (and have TWO all solid wood gits), PLUS have enough left over for a take-camping-beater! :)

• Members

Hehehe. Hope you like it!

Yes, I hope nothing goes wrong!

And of course, a big thanks for all of you for your help, especially skatalite and Florida_Gator! I'll definitely be hanging around these forums more often and hopefully be able to share my experiences with my new MD80. :thu:

• Members

Yes, I hope nothing goes wrong!

And of course, a big thanks for all of you for your help, especially skatalite and Florida_Gator! I'll definitely be hanging around these forums more often and hopefully be able to share my experiences with my new MD80.
:thu:

No problem! Glad to help. And hey, if you don't like it or if there's something wrong, send it back and try something else :) But I'm sure you'll like it.

And another welcome to the forums :D This place is pretty cool, so I hope you stick around.

• Members

Congrats -- excellent deal that I came VERY close to clicking on (MD60, since I don't have any cedars). But I'm gonna keep looking for something with a larger (wider and deeper) neck.

Let's just say... I sure am glad that guitar wasn't at the local shop today at that price... "ignoring" it while it's online-only is MUCH easier than ignoring it while you're holding/playing it!

Based on what I did try today, I think you are really gonna like it! Hope you get it soon!

There's really no risk in any event... if you don't love it, send it back and try something else. That's what skatalite did with the LS6, and it worked out great for him! That's why they make so many different kinds!

• Members

Keeping it short....

Both guitars came strung up with new D'Addario EXP's (which so happens to be the same strings I use. We're off to a great start.)

The MD350 has a good sound, if you live somewhere where its always bright. Though some reviewed it claiming that its sound rivals the sounds of high dollar Taylor's and Martin's, I do not agree.

It had one thing in common with Taylor's and that is that its tonality leaned heavily toward the bright side.

Its low end lacked bass (you read right) and the low end notes died quickly.

It really seems to me like Alvarez tried to make a guitar with a great majority of the focus being on the B and e.

I played it for a couple 25 minute intervals before packing it back up.

Since every guitar is different, it is possible that I got a dud. However, I found pores on the sides of the guitar that appeared to have been missed during the staining process. Besides that, the Indian Rosewood was absolutely beautiful especially with the tortoise binding. But, it fell in the shadow of the spruce top which I found to be ugly, in my opinion. I hated all the inlays (especially around the sound hole) except for the diamond A on the headstock. That logo always looks good.

I felt like the MD60 was really a dumbed down version with a different (and much better looking) top. It also had hideous inlays.

It was hard for me to give it more than 15 minutes, but I played it for 25. It's probably not fair that I just played a friend's Seagull 40th anniversary Cedar top. But, it had old strings and still sounded better than the MD60.

What did Alvarez get right?

I love these new cases! They are practical. Hard, yet they still have a zip pocket; and a big one at that.

DC-2.jpg

Summary: Though these guitars have a super appealing clearance price, I believe there are better guitars to be had for $300 - $500.

NOTE: I compared these guitars to each other as well as to my '76 Fender F-35 spruce/bubinga dreadnought. I'm sticking with her.