Acoustic Recommendations - $350

mzx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Both the MD60 and MD80 are coming in shortly? I wonder how many people already pre-ordered and my chances of getting one. I don't think my chances are very good now as many people probably already pre-ordered.

What are the MD60 and MD80 being replaced with?

Not too sure what they're being replaced with.

And as for the pre-order: Worth a shot, ain't it?

• Members

Does anyone know about how many guitars will be coming in to AMS?

When I talked to the sales rep just a minute ago, I also pre-ordered an MD60 and he said mine was the 10th backorder. He checked to make sure that they would be getting enough and he said that they will be receiving "plenty enough."

I'd go for it.

EDIT: Actually, I already went for it.

• Members

When I talked to the sales rep just a minute ago, I also pre-ordered an MD60 and he said mine was the 10th backorder. He checked to make sure that they would be getting enough and he said that they will be receiving "plenty enough."

I'd go for it.

EDIT:
Actually, I already went for it.

Did you ask the rep when the guitars will be coming in?

• Members

He said they were supposed to have received them Sunday (08/09/09).

Yeah, I heard the same. The MD60's were suppose to come even earlier I believe. Supposedly 112 MD60's are coming in and 14 MD80's. That ratio is so disproportionate. :confused:

Does anyone have experience with the Yamaha FG730S? Are the back/sides laminate or what?

• Members

Yeah, I heard the same. The MD60's were suppose to come even earlier I believe. Supposedly 112 MD60's are coming in and 14 MD80's. That ratio is so disproportionate.
:confused:

Does anyone have experience with the Yamaha FG730S? Are the back/sides laminate or what?

I have (and like a lot) a Yamaha FG730S. The top is solid Sitka spruce, and the back/sides are lam rosewood.

• Members

I'm interested in the Yamaha FG720S and FG730S as well. I understand they're bodies are laminate, but how do they hold up against each other and against the Alvarez MD60 and MD80?

I can only compare FG730S to Alvarez MD60, since those are the two I have at the moment. My MD80 will be arriving today, but not until this evening. I can give another comparison later tonight if you'd like.

But, both the 730 and MD60 are awesome guitars. I string the guitars with the same strings (D'addario EXP16).

Sound: The 730 is brighter and slightly thinner in sound than the MD60. This is the be expected, though: the laminated back and sides of the Yammie won't give as full, rounded of a sound as the Alvarez. And the Yammie's sitka spruce top is inherently brighter than cedar, it's just the nature of the wood.

Volume: The Alvarez is quite a bit louder than my Yamaha, with more note definition. I'm going to purchase John Pearse Armrests to allow all my guitars to open up more, but at the current state, the Yamaha isn't as loud. Still, it's plenty loud for when I've used it in jamming or practice situations.

Construction/durability: Cedar is a sensitive wood. It's easy to ding, scuff, etc. Because of this, I'd say, overall, the Yamaha is more durable. Both guitars have superb construction, the Yamaha especially so considering it's a $300 guitar, and the Alvarez used to sell for close to $800. Yamaha's quality control has always been awesome. However, the Alvarez has better attention to details on binding, neck work, etc. Now, if you were to get the MD80 with Englemann Spruce top, it'd be much less susceptible to dings than the MD60's cedar top. The cedar top provides a different tone and sound, and it's just a trade off that it's easier to ding.

Playability: This is somewhat subjective, since everyone likes different things. But I've got smallish hands, with chubby fingers, and both are easy and painless to play. The Yamaha has a chunkier neck, and I do prefer the neck on the Alvarez, but both are still winners in the playability category. And although I haven't measured it, the Yamaha seems deeper at the body than the Alvarez. The Yamaha is a slightly larger guitar, in terms of body width.

Conclusion: Both are fine, fine guitars. I'm glad I own both. They have their own characteristics that play in heavily with the music I create. If I want a certain sound, I pick up the Yamaha. If I want a smooth, warm sound, I get the Alvarez out. Two very different guitars, they are. But both are extremely good values. If someone gave me $300 and said, "Go buy either another Yamaha or Alvarez" I'd pick the Alvarez, simply because I think it is an extremely good value that won't last long, and because it comes with a case! In a month, you might not be able to find one for $299 delivered. But you'll be able to find a 730S.

Hope that helped!

• Members

Just wondering if your MD60 has bone saddle and the 730 plastic saddle... that may contribute to the difference in volume.

From all information I can find, the MD60 has a tusk saddle. So, basically plastic. Everything on both of my guitars is stock.

• Members

From all information I can find, the MD60 has a tusk saddle. So, basically plastic. Everything on both of my guitars is stock.

Tusq is actually much better than plastic. Many even argue that Tusq is better than bone.

I think this contributes to the greater volume / sustain MD60 has over 730 ( stock).

• Members

Tusq is actually much better than plastic. Many even argue that Tusq is better than bone.

I think this contributes to the greater volume / sustain MD60 has over 730 ( stock).

It likely does. So, I guess that makes the Alvarez an even greater value at the price point, eh?

• Members

When I changed the stock plastic saddle for bone in my FG730S, I got an increase in both volume and sustain. It was not as noticable as when I changed to bone in my LS6, but it was still very noticable.

Cool.

So, mzx, you can get the Yamaha and a bone saddle for still around that $350 limit. But if you don't know how to install and possibly trim a new saddle, it'll be an additional charge at your local shop/luthier.

• Members

Yeah. I'm still debating between the Yamaha FG720S and FG730S and Alvarez M60 and M60. :poke:

The Alvarezs' prices are definitely a steal, but the wait is difficult.

I prefer the shape/size of the FG720S over the 3 other guitars. However, its build is slightly inferior to the other 3. It's such a difficult decision.

As for the case for the Yamaha FG720S, because of its shape, do you think it will fit into standard dreadnought hard case comfortably without moving around too much? An example:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Deluxe-Dreadnought-Case?sku=540945