Alvarez MD60 - 3 guitars left in stock AMS - Flying off the shelves

Abando

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just sent my MD60 back to AMS this afternoon via UPS (they sent me a shipping label)... and sent them an email letting them know the tracking number (they told me that once I shipped it back, they could ship out the replacement). So I jumped on their "chat" session this evening (via their website) and gave them my order number and tracking number, so "please ship out the replacement..." (you guys know how tough waiting is! ;) )

... here's where it gets scary... she said "I'd be happy to, but we don't have any more for me to send". :eek:

I told her that they had one "held" for me (per the rep I spoke with yesterday morning), and please check that... she said she'd have to check with the warehouse, which is closed for the night. Someone is supposed to call or email me tomorrow with an update...

They assured me yesterday (when I was talking to the rep on the phone regarding the issue with the guitar -- see above) that one was "for me", and so far, they've been great to deal with...

... fingers crossed!...

• Members

Good luck Gator.

I too recieved my MD60 late last week. I have sat with it twice and I am nearly in awe. I am thrilled to have this guitar. Gorgeous to look at and the tone is articulate, warm with some shine....and the mid tones are poppy and I like it, a lot.!! Loud and clear.

I couldn't put it down tonight. I kept thinking there is something wrong with this guitar but, there is nothing wrong with it.!! I am totally satisfied with this guitar. The neck is narrow but I am now certain I will over come this little challenge.

Love the guitar in every regard. $254 shipped. ZZounds.

Anyways, I didn't want to start another thread so....there's that.

FG....Hope you get yours soon.

• Members

Update...

:cry:

Well, we (myself and AMS) gave it our best shot... but alas, they were not able to hold an MD60 for me for my exchange, even though I was told one would be "put asside" for me on Monday morning. Evidently, holding one on the computer vs. in reality are two very different things. But I do believe it was an honest mistake, so I'm not here to beat them up.

So anyway, since they don't have any more MD60s, and won't be getting any more (ever), they suggested the MD350 (which even at a their closeout discount, was about twice as much as I'd paid for the MD60). So they helped some on the price, and I went ahead and ordered that. It's not the hog/cedar I'd wanted, but it has some other nice features that I've always wanted anyway (1.75" nut, solid rosewood back/sides, etc.).

So while I was a little disappointed in not getting my replacement MD60, AMS came through and made the customer (reasonably) happy... :)

Thanks all!

• Members

I actually ordered and paid for one yesterday for a friend who wanted one because the website said two were still available. However, I called them and they said it was on 'backorder' and might be a few weeks before they get some more. I asked to cancel my order which they did. Another site (can't recall which one) said that they had some coming in and should be in any day. These will only come with some kind of gig bag and not the nice Alvarez case like I got with mine.

vtg

th_568711.jpg

• Members
Update...

Well, we (myself and AMS) gave it our best shot... but alas, they were not able to hold an MD60 for me for my exchange, even though I was told one would be "put asside" for me on Monday morning. Evidently, holding one on the computer vs. in reality are two very different things. But I do believe it was an honest mistake, so I'm not here to beat them up.

So anyway, since they don't have any more MD60s, and won't be getting any more (ever), they suggested the MD350 (which even at a their closeout discount, was about twice as much as I'd paid for the MD60). So they helped some on the price, and I went ahead and ordered that. It's not the hog/cedar I'd wanted, but it has some other nice features that I've always wanted anyway (1.75" nut, solid rosewood back/sides, etc.).

So while I was a little disappointed in not getting my replacement MD60, AMS came through and made the customer (reasonably) happy...
:)

Thanks all!

I`ve been eyeballing the MD350 because even at the price it looks like as much of a good deal as the MD60/80. I`m waiting to hear what you think of it.:)

• Members

nuclear - I've no reason to be "pissed"... disappointed yeah, but they did all they could to make me happy. I could have gotten a refund, but they gave me a more attractive option.

VTG - to the best of my knowledge, they're not getting any more at AMS.

smatel - I really liked the MD60 (other than the issue with mine), but I'll wait and see how the MD350 is. Based on the specs, I should like it fine!

Chordchunker - I'll be sure and post my "review" of the MD350 when I get it.

JasonA - I actually prefer the wider string-spacing (I play a lot of fingerstyle), so I'm looking forward to that (my LS6 also has a 1.75" nut, which I love).

Thank for the support and interest guys!

• Members

Oh, 1-3/4" nut width is awesome.

I meant the spacing at the saddle. The LS6 is too tight IMO, at 2-1/16". 2-1/4" is perfect to me.

The MD350 apparently has about 2-3/8", which is wide, but far preferable to 2-1/16"! I'm tempted...

• Members

I meant the spacing at the saddle. The LS6 is too tight IMO, at 2-1/16". 2-1/4" is perfect to me.

The MD350 apparently has about 2-3/8", which is wide, but far preferable to 2-1/16"! I'm tempted...

You and me both. 2-3/8" is ideal for me.

What was the discount on the MD60 and the MD80? 78% off list? Also, is the MD350 an all-gloss or is it satin-finished on the body?

EDIT:

Dang. "Natural" finish again. :(

• Members

Spec-wise, AMS's deal on the MD350 is VERY good ($500). All-solid engleman-over-rosewood, ebony fretboard & bridge, nice wood binding, case, etc... The only guitar that comes close spec-wise and cost-wise would probably be the Yamaha LL16 ($750). As I recall, the MD350 retails for $1500, and was selling for around $1000...

• Members

I just got my MD60 yesterday and it sounds and plays great, in fact it plays easier than my Taylor. I've always wanted a cedar topped guitar and this thing does not disappoint. Even with the narrow neck it fingerpicks very easily. I noticed 2 small holes that looked like a nail was started and then pulled out, one by the strap button and one on the lower bout side where it rests on my knee. Very small and not too noticable but it was in the wood. I called AMS and they didn't have anymore, so they offered to knock another 20.00 off. I honestly did not want to send this thing back as I am loving the sound and its simplistic looks. So I am very happy with this purchase, after 12% cashback it cost me 205.00 with an awsome case, are you kidding me. Props to AMS. Pizzaboy

• Members
Update...

So while I was a little disappointed in not getting my replacement MD60, AMS came through and made the customer (reasonably) happy...

Thanks all!

I'd be pissed.

You bought an MD60, you should get an MD60. They made an obligation to you, and they should honor it. If they say they aren't getting in anymore MD60's ever, I'd say tough {censored}, you said you'd get me a MD60 and that is what I expect. How they do it is there problem. Its not like it physically impossible for them to somehow get a MD60.

However, if I'd wanted a MD350 more all along and they helped me out on the price, I'd jump on the deal. :thu:

• Members

Hmm... no, I didn't want an MD350 "more"... to be perfectly honest, I didn't "want" an MD60 originally... but I kept reading all the great reviews here, and the price was very inticing :)

I guess, what I'm saying is, it was an HONEST mistake (not an attempt to mislead or bait-and-switch), and they did their best to make the customer happy. What more could you ask for? If this was a CAR, well that'd be different. Some things are worth high blood pressure; others aren't :)

AMS has excellent customer support (though they ARE slow on email) and has been helpful all the way. I'm sure the rep that tried to "hold" an MD60 for me thought it was "held". I thought their offer to "fix things" was appropriate and reasonable, but I can understand if others disagree.

• Members
Hmm... no, I didn't want an MD350 "more"... to be perfectly honest, I didn't "want" an MD60 originally... but I kept reading all the great reviews here, and the price was very inticing

You need to change your sig. ;)

Congrats on getting a deal on the MD350. :thu: I think it's a good trade-up particularly if you play mostly fingerstyle. Flatpickers and strummers might find the spacing a bit too wide.

If I didn't already have my Yamaha FG730S I would spend the extra $250 (I got a deal on the Yammie) for an MD350.

• Members
You need to change your sig.
;)

Congrats on getting a deal on the MD350.
:thu:
I think it's a good trade-up particularly if you play mostly fingerstyle. Flatpickers and strummers might find the spacing a bit too wide.

If I didn't already have my Yamaha FG730S I would spend the extra $250 (I got a deal on the Yammie) for an MD350.

My MD350 has shipped! :thu:

I *do* play a lot of fingerstyle, and while I'll miss the unique sound of the MD60 (I really did like it, other than the neck rattle :) ), I think the MD350 will be even better for that. In fact, just a month or so ago, I posted a thread here looking for dreds with 1.75" nuts, so maybe this whole snafu was meant to be. ;)

Oh and, regarding the FG730S -- I'll ALWAYS have one of those. It's my leave-it-out-all-the-time-and-take-it-out-back-and-visiting guitar (no, not my "beater" -- anyone that calls the FG730S a "beater" should be beat! :p ).

• Members

My MD350 has shipped!
:thu:

I *do* play a lot of fingerstyle, and while I'll miss the unique sound of the MD60 (I really did like it, other than the neck rattle
), I think the MD350 will be even better for that. In fact, just a month or so ago, I posted a thread here looking for dreds with 1.75" nuts, so maybe this whole snafu was meant to be.
;)

Oh and, regarding the FG730S -- I'll ALWAYS have one of those. It's my leave-it-out-all-the-time-and-take-it-out-back-and-visiting guitar (no, not my "beater" -- anyone that calls the FG730S a "beater" should be beat!
:p
).

Hey take some pictures and maybe a review when it comes(?)

I wanna see the MD350 again, its going to look really nice. matter fact its my avatar picture haha

• Members

Hey take some pictures and maybe a review when it comes(?)

I wanna see the MD350 again, its going to look really nice. matter fact its my avatar picture haha

kiiaz, that looks like the MD350C? Did you have one?

They sure look nice in pics -- looking forward to seeing it (probably Monday).

• Members

For those of you who picked up the MD60 (americanmusical) - did your's come with a pick guard?

I have read on some forums that some came with pick guards...mine did not.

Which brings me to my 2nd question.....for those of you who like pick guards....would you go with black, tortoiseshell....something else?

• Members

Where was the pickguard at? Inside the case? or in the outer pouch?

I bought two - one for a gift - I did not notice them in either case....but both guitars are currently in hiding for birthday present...so I did not check real closely

• Members

For those of you who picked up the MD60 (americanmusical) - did your's come with a pick guard?

I have read on some forums that some came with pick guards...mine did not.

Which brings me to my 2nd question.....for those of you who like pick guards....would you go with black, tortoiseshell....something else?

Mine came with a black pickguard that was in the case compartment. I don't think I'm going to put it on because I don't really care for the shape. I like the way it looks without one , but if I decide to put one on I'll probably get a tortoiseshell.

Archived