Martin D-16GT

kwakatak

• Members

I know there are a few D-16GT lovers out there and just wanted to share. I played one tonight that looked to be factory fresh with honest-to-God mahogany back, sides AND neck. No sapele or Spanish cedar there. As for the tone: clear as a bell, strong note fundamental, great sustain and bass response that I've incorrectly associated with rosewood guitars but now realize that it's the bracing pattern most likely. It totally blew away the D-16RGT I'd thought of going with. It even gave my preferred HD-35 a run for its money - but I'm still pining for that particular guitar.

• Members

Hehe, no I'm still holding out for the HD-35. I was just pleasantly surprised by the D-16GT that's all. I've always thought of myself as a sort of a rosewood kind of guy. Once thing I didn't like was the satin finish, but at the same time there was a D-18 hanging on the wall that I wasn't gonna get all GASsy for if I could help it!

• Members

IF you liked the D16GT, find a '47-'62 Gibson LG3....you will fall in love.

It was replaced by the B-25N in '63 (same damn guitar for less money...not as collectible so they are really a great find)

Spruce, hog, X-bracing, with a sound I can't even describe. They can be found for under $1,000 in rough shape, but they sound incredible.

Archived