Where do you wear your THUMB pick?

Coolie No.1

• Members

I think I have found my thumbpick after trying out many.

Fred Kelly Speed and Slick Picks medium and light.

But I still get discomfort if I play long.

I wear it so it shows about 2/3rd of the nail.

I have seen players wearing it well up and showing all of the nail.

In the thinner part of the thumb. If I do that i cant pick properly.

So, is there a standard and technically right place to wear it?

• Members

It depends on the size of the thumb, really. The picks are made in one-size-fits-all pinchband dimension so the larger the thumb, the more it will pinch and the further out it can be worn and remain secure. I actually trim the pinchband's back edge, making the band narrower, and keep the trimmed edge aligned with my cuticle. People with skinny little thumbs will probably have to wear it further back, even completely off the thumbnail, to keep enough of a pinch to prevent it from dislodging. I have a shallow, permanent mutation - like a trough - in my thumbnail where the end of the pinchband pinches my nail. It grows that way from the cuticle now.

• Members

I wear FK thumbpicks (lately delrin M Speed Pick) as Terry describes - half on/half off the base of the nail. I have very dry skin, and it won't stay on initially, but after 5-10 minutes, the thumb warms up and the pick gets stuck and I'm good for 2-3 hours. Same thing with Freedom fingerpicks, but it takes longer. If you're experiencing discomfort, don't push the pick up so far - give it a few minutes and see if it stays put.

Archived