When PA's aren't available,will bass amps work?

KATMAN

• Members

I plan on helping my wife sing in nursing homes.There isn't a PA available,and my guitar amp is too heavy to drag along.I have small bass amp I was thinking about taking with me.If I had a louder guitar,I wouldn't need one,but since I'll be using my Tak or the Epi,I need a amp.Plus they're elderly and a lot of them have hearing problems. Will this work? I guess as long as I'm not standing too close.

• Members

I plan on helping my wife sing in nursing homes.There isn't a PA available,and my guitar amp is too heavy to drag along.I have small bass amp I was thinking about taking with me.If I had a louder guitar,I wouldn't need one,but since I'll be using my Tak or the Epi,I need a amp.Plus they're elderly and a lot of them have hearing problems. Will this work? I guess as long as I'm not standing too close.

does the bass amp have a horn? It may work, but it may not be a nice clean high-end. You'll have to futz around with the eq.

• Members

In the absence of a PA or an acoustic guitar amp, a bass amp will probably work just fine, though as cdb mentioned, it might sound a little muffled if there isn't a tweeter on the bass amp somewhere. A keyboard amp generally works pretty well for acoustic guitar/vocals, but I'm guessing you probably don't have one of those.

• Members

Yes, a bass amp will work fine. A "tweeter" would be nice but the fundamentals on a guitar conk out well below 1KHz and a decent bass speaker should be able to handle them with no problems. For example, an A played at the 5th fret of the high E string has a fundamental of 440Hz. The third harmonic of that is 1320Hz, the 5th is 2200Hz, and the 7th is 3080Hz, all or nearly all within "woofer" range.

Archived