OT: I went to a new open mic last week (electric content)

kwakatak

• Members

I didn't get to go up and play because I got there too late and they let people get up there way too long (one "act" played for nearly a half hour) but it was different from the coffee house/music store open mics I'd been to in the past. This one looked to be more electric-oriented. I'd never seen an OM with a backing band before either. At one point there were 8 people up there, including a drummer, bass player, keys player, a guy on a Tele and another guy blowing harp into a mic (all of whom were the "house band" apparently) while 2 guys played acoustic/electrics and the singer struggled to be heard because he was buried in the mix.

Still, I think I'm gonna go back and bring my Strat. Conceivably I could take my Larrivee with its K&K PWM but t's been too long since I plugged in and I get a sense that these guys would rather play loud. Fine by me. I'd like to try to accommodate them. The Hot Rod Deluxe has been collecting dust and I've been a ticking time bomb lately so I need to vent on the frets and wail some.

OTOH, I'm not gonna give up on the acoustic either. There's yet another OM at a coffee house I have yet to check out that is probably more in tune with my mellow side and let me get my cowboy chord/folk singer fix.

Sorry, just testing the waters here. Note to self: get new batteries for the acoustic preamp and the Bad Monkey.

• Members
:lol:...We have one of those every Thursday at a local club..it's called a blues jam. It's an institution in my town and has been running for almost 8 years. A former band mate of mine is the co-host and he plays bass. He's kinda fussy and if you are just a hacker you'll get the hook pretty fast. Since I can go up and actually perform songs and not mindless jams (for 15 minutes)I am usually welcome. There is always a 1968 Fender Reverb available for me to plug into if I bring an electric guitar. The drummer is amazing and really this is the place to go to throw down and let her rip. ;)

• Members

Nah - it wasn't a blues jam. It just seemed that way since there was a guy there blowing harp into a mic. Here's the description from the web site:

Join in the fun on open mic Tuesday nights where anyone can play, and/or sing. Usually followed by a great acoustic jam.

There was an acoustic in the band, but it was a Taylor 314CE or 414CE with a feedback stopper in the soundhole. I'm just saying everybody else was turned up pretty high for it to be an "acoustic" jam. One kid got up there with what looked like a DX1 with stickers on it that had to be mic'd and we just couldn't hear it too well.

• Members

Both of our open jams have a full band hosting the event who will back you or step aside for a few songs. You can play solo or bring your mates to jam on the house bands equipment. Both are electric based jams for the most part, but during the breaks, rather than the jukebox, they will let acoustic solo artists play.

It's not unusual for me to sit in and play rhythm for a few songs with a full band and then do a solo acoustic song during a changing of the bands.

This is the third time today I'm gonna say I'm lucky to live where I do regarding open jams and generous musicians that share time, info and stage.

Archived