A Used Martin 12-String

Steadfastly

• Members

It's not a Martin...it's a Sigma. Sigma guitars were made for Martin in Japan from 1970-1983 then Korea from 83 to the mid 90's and then Taiwan I think. They where like Epiphone is to Gibson. Sigma stopped production in 2007.

They did make decent all laminated (some had solid tops) copies of Martin guitars. I did have a Sigma DM2 for a number of years. The one you are looking at is at least going to be 10-20 yes old so I'd be wary of the possibilty of it needing a neck re-set although my Sigma DM2 was from the 80's and it played nicely.

• Members

$200 doesn't sound too bad, especially in Canadian dollars, that'd be about what in U.S. dollars? I've seen Sigmas go for anywhere from $100 bucks on LSN to $300 at one of the local shops. If it's in good shape make em' an offer of say, $175, you never know, you just might take it home for that.

• Members

$200 doesn't sound too bad, especially in Canadian dollars, that'd be about what in U.S. dollars? I've seen Sigmas go for anywhere from $100 bucks on LSN to $300 at one of the local shops. If it's in good shape make em' an offer of say, $175, you never know, you just might take it home for that.

$200.00 Canadian is about $210.00US.

Thanks for the info. It looks like it might be worth a look.

• Members

I thought it'd take LESS U.S. dollars to make $200 Canadian dollars. Do you mean to say that the U.S. dollar has dropped so far that a buck of Canadian money is actually worth more now then a buck of U.S. money? Wow, when did that happen. I'll have to google this and see what the exchange rate is.

• Members

I thought it'd take LESS U.S. dollars to make $200 Canadian dollars. Do you mean to say that the U.S. dollar has dropped so far that a buck of Canadian money is actually worth more now then a buck of U.S. money? Wow, when did that happen. I'll have to google this and see what the exchange rate is.

You're right. Sorry, I did it backwards. $200.00USD=$210.00CAD.

• Members

Take a straightedge and check the neck angle. If angle is OK (and no other structurally issues) probably a good deal. If angle is bad figure a minimum of $300-400 to fix it - so I would run as fast as you can.

If you don't know how to measure neck angle go the the Sick Guitar article at the Annex Tech section (or ask here)

• Members

Thanks Freeman. That's a good idea.

There is often a reason that someone is selling a relatively inexpensive 12 string and that reason is often that the action is so high they are really hard to play. When I got my old D12-28 the action was OK, but there was almost no saddle sticking out of the bridge - I used that as a negotiating point and after it got too bad I had it fixed. Neck set, some structural issues, fret dressing and setup cost me $600 but the guitar was worth it and now plays wonderfully. I saw a nice little Guild 12 in a music store and when I told the clerk that it would cost at least $300 to have the neck set she looked kind of sheepish - they knew it but weren't about to say so.

So if the action is acceptable AND you've got some saddle to play with (or you do the old straightedge on the fretboard trick) they a Sigma 12 string for that price could be a pretty nice deal. Let us know.

(btw - if I were dealing on a guitar on evil bay or Craigslist and could do the measurement myself, that is an easy photo for the sell to take and could make or break the deal for me)

• Members

I've found Sigmas to be impossible to neck reset. At least not in the traditional way. I think they assembled them with epoxy glue and it won't steam off. The neck block is also built up in pieces from chunks of hardwood held together wit the same epoxy....so basically if you're able to somehow disassemble the dovetail, you'll probably destroy the whole block in the process.

There are two ways of getting around this....you can saw through the heel and reglue the heel iself together for a reset...or remove the back up to the waist and reglue the "tongue" to rest the new neck angle. Both of which are tedious and probably not worth the effort.

Personally I would look for an old 60's Harmony 12 string made from solid woods if you're looking to deal with a used 12 string and the inevitible neck reset.

• Members

I checked and the Canadian dollar is worth .95 cents of the U.S. Dollar, that's real close to being 1:1. I didn't realize that the U.S. dollar had dropped to much.

I guess it's a combination of one getting a bit weaker and one a bit stronger. It's always a catch 22. When the CDN dollar is higher we can buy most things a bit cheaper but our exports suffer because now they are more expensive for other countries to buy from us. If you have a solution to the problem, I'm sure the Cdn. government would like to hear from you.

Archived