These Guitars CAN Hang

rjoxyz

• Members

Confront your fears Knockwood! :poke:

String Swing hangers from eBay (best price I could find, delivered). Mounted very solidly. Only caught studs on 2 of the 6. Did NOT use anchors provided. Used those anchors you hammer into the wall and then tighten the screw to pull against back of drywall--had to use toggle anchors on one as the others spun and would not dig into the drywall.

Did free up some space, but need to sell 3-4 gits to make more room. 3-4 out the door...and maybe 1 in. ;)

hanginggits1g.jpg

hanginggits2.jpg

• Members
String Swing hangers from eBay (best price I could find, delivered). Mounted very solidly. Only caught studs on 2 of the 6.
Did NOT use anchors provided. Used those anchors you hammer into the wall and then tighten the screw to pull against back of drywall
--had to use toggle anchors on one as the others spun and would not dig into the drywall.

String Swings are great :thu:! I've got two mounted on my wall---one for my mandolin and another for either my S6 or my S12. Which one of those gets the wall hanger is dependent upon which one is currently occupying my floor stand. And the guitar occupying the floor stand is dependent upon the one occupying the wall hanger. Circular logic is great, eh ;)?

And I'm with you 100% on the anchors. The drywall anchors that come with the String Swings are monstrous :eek:! When the anchor is several times bigger than the screw, there's definitely something wrong. I don't think I hit any studs when I put mine in, but they've been hanging solidly for several months.

• Members
Nice job Randy!
:thu:

Wow, you have a nice collection.
:eek:

I'm jealous!
:cool:

Yeah, I had more money than sense for a while there. Actually believed it would stay that way. Lately, I'm a little more realistic about the future. I think most of them have lost value more slowly than my 401(k), so I rationalize them as a retirement account.

• Members

Nice job, man!

I've had my measly two acoustics up on the wall for a few days now. I'm liking it a lot. Playing more. I'm already hopping back and forth between the two daily, sometimes several times daily, rather than alternating days.

I'm even thinking hard about getting another acoustic to use up a bit of spare wall space... :facepalm:

My git room is not nearly as comfy as yours looks, though. I have comfy-envy.

• Members

Thanks. Glad you decided to let 'em hang loose. You will definitely play more if you keep your guitars "handy". I'd trade you my arsenal for your two guitars, if we also traded playing ability. ;) My sig is no overstatement.

That's no git room. That's a family room overrun with gits. The humidifier sits on the the fireplace hearth. Haven't burned a fire in years for fear I'd suck all the humidity out too quickly and the guitars would crumble into splinters on the floor.

Did I mention I have a very tolerant and understanding wife? :love:

• Members
Glad you decided to let 'em hang loose. You will definitely play more if you keep your guitars "handy". I'd trade you my arsenal for your two guitars, if we also traded playing ability.
;)
My sig is no overstatement.

That's no git room. That's a family room overrun with gits. The humidifier sits on the the fireplace hearth. Haven't burned a fire in years for fear I'd suck all the humidity out too quickly and the guitars would crumble into splinters on the floor.

Did I mention I have a very tolerant and understanding wife?
:love:

Keeping my gits handy has been dandy, Randy... :facepalm:

Sorry, man.

I might agree to trade playing ability with you... if I really, really disliked you or something. F that, yo. I'm hopeless. My cats literally run out of the room when they see me going for a git. Srsly.

I gotta ask what kind of humidifier you're using in there. Looks cool. I'm using several around the house, but they're quite small and are thus quite a pain in the ass despite having been very reliable. I must have lost 15 lbs just running around to constantly fill those {censored}ers. They were advertised as 2-1/2 gallon capacity, but they hold a gallon at best (WTF?). I'd have swapped them out already if they didn't work so well. I keep two in the git room.

Are you really gonna sell 3 - 4 gits just for space? What about just selling one to buy something nice for your wonderfully tolerant and understanding wife "for being so tolerant and understanding about my guitars." Win-Win, no?

• Members
Keeping my gits handy has been dandy, Randy...
:facepalm:

Sorry, man.

I might agree to trade playing ability with you... if I really, really disliked you or something. F that, yo. I'm hopeless. My cats literally run out of the room when they see me going for a git. Srsly.

I gotta ask what kind of humidifier you're using in there. Looks cool. I'm using several around the house, but they're quite small and are thus quite a pain in the ass despite having been very reliable. I must have lost 15 lbs just running around to constantly fill those {censored}ers. They were advertised as 2-1/2 gallon capacity, but they hold a gallon at best (WTF?). I'd have swapped them out already if they didn't work so well. I keep two in the git room.

Are you really gonna sell 3 - 4 gits just for space? What about just selling one to buy something nice for your wonderfully tolerant and understanding wife "for being so tolerant and understanding about my guitars." Win-Win, no?

The humidifier is a Honeywell warm steam model, this one, if you can find it:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3940072&CatId=4567

It's the best one I've had and I've been thru a bunch. I will only use steam for a room humidifier--the cool mist ones never worked for me and those wicks made me crazy. This one will hold 45-50% (maybe a little less when the furnace runs a LOT) in a 14x20 foot room, open to the rest of the house at one end. We have a whole house humidifier on the furnace, but it doesn't do {censored}, that I can tell.

The "gallon rating" you refer to is not how much it holds, but how much it can put in the air in a day. The one in my picture will do what I said above, and runs a little over 24 hrs. on a tank in the dead of Winter.

My wife gets/does pretty much whatever she wants. That helps her to be tolerant and understanding. We've both been a little more cautious since our state's economy started circling the drain, but it's been win-win for a while. ;) Still, your suggestion might just be a good one.

And, I'll take you on in a "Dueling Banjos/Devil Went Down to Georgia" kinda battle anytime. I have no doubt as to the outcome. I truly believe I am the most over-gunned guitarist (I shouldn't even call myself such) in the Western Hemisphere. But, I still enjoy myself and my guitars keep me sane and away from single malt Scotch.

Archived