Takamine G406S New Yorker?

rjoxyz

• Members

My GAS has been relatively contained of late (excepting a $104 Johnson Carolina JD-26 impulse purchase, which I don't count). However, I keep gazing at the beautiful Takamine New Yorker on my computer screen. No clue if I could find one to play. At about $400, it is not something that will cause serious financial angst, and I will likely fund a potential buy with the sale of a couple of my current guitars on eBay. So, I'm thinking about ordering one.

I know Frets99 has one and I've watched his YouTube videos (chime in anytime, Frets) and the guitar sounds pretty full, but I don't trust internet videos for tone. Nice chops Frets! ;)

It looks to be a little bigger than a parlor, but smaller than an OM/000? I guess I'm curious as to how the tone compares to an OM/000 of similar construction. Tone boxy or compressed to any great degree?

I am also concerned a bit by the 1 11/16" nut as I prefer 1 3/4" for fingerpicking and would likely limit it to that use. How is the string spacing? I have found that to be more important than neck width specs in some cases.

I was thinking of getting a small bodied guitar, sub-$500 and was favoring a Yamaha LS-6. I have to admit, the attraction to the Tak is superficial as I find it gorgeous. If it sounds half as good as it looks and the string spacing is not too tight, I think it could be the "next one".

Any input from Frets or anyone else with G406S experience would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

I believe it's 00 size. the only thing I don't like about it is... the nut!

You are right... it needs to be 1.75.

My first 1.75 nut was my S-6 last year, now I walk past my Martins to get to the Seagull. And IT IS because of the nut size.

Go figga :idk:

• Members

I believe it's 00 size. the only thing I don't like about it is... the nut!

You are right... it needs to be 1.75.

My first 1.75 nut was my S-6 last year, now I walk past my Martins to get to the Seagull. And IT IS because of the nut size.

Go figga
:idk:

One of the reasons my Stanford PSD28 gets more playing time than my HD-28. I don't mind a 1 11/16" neck if the string spacing is right (as is the Martin), but the wider neck is more versatile for me, as I find it much easier to fret cleanly when fingerpicking.

• Members

Try some of the smaller local shops in your area ... I was surprised to find three different shops that had them.

Good idea--there are a couple possibilities, locally. They are special order at GC and Elderly does not have them in stock per their website. Thanks!

Anytime Frets--waiting for you patiently while watching those YouTube videos. :)

• Members

I've been watching the New Yorkers on Ebay for the past few weeks.

Nice looking guitar.
:thu:

I have to admit, most of my interest is based on the aesthetics. Price is decent too. The fact I hear it's also a decent player really pulls me in. I got over bling a long time ago, but there's something about a small body guitar with abalone purfling that still gets me. Add the wood binding and that maple on the back and...:love:

Tone is less than a dread of course but a dread won't swallow it up. It carves out it's own space and is very full and balanced. I'm a faux 3 finger picker but I have no problems with the spacing. Perfect guitar for singing along with as well. Just beautiful to look at.

• Members

Tone is less than a dread of course but a dread won't swallow it up. It carves out it's own space and is very full and balanced. I'm a faux 3 finger picker but I have no problems with the spacing. Perfect guitar for singing along with as well. Just beautiful to look at.

Thanks Frets! How is the spacing at the nut? Not all 1 11/16 " nuts are created equal. For fingerpicking especially, I prefer as much space as I can get for my sausage fingers. Some "standard" nuts have it and some don't.

BTW, it is georgeous and sounds pretty full on your vids. I am close on this one, but keep thinking Yammie LS6 too (other than my Ami, my 2 OM/000 guitars are all solid and I want something I won't be paranoid about taking out of the house). I am smitten by that rosewood/maple/abalone beauty. If the tone is more 000 than parlor, it's definitely the one.

Thanks Frets! How is the spacing at the nut? Not all 1 11/16 " nuts are created equal. For fingerpicking especially, I prefer as much space as I can get for my sausage fingers. Some "standard" nuts have it and some don't.

BTW, it is georgeous and sounds pretty full on your vids. I am close on this one, but keep thinking Yammie LS6 too (other than my Ami, my 2 OM/000 guitars are all solid and I want something I won't be paranoid about taking out of the house). I am smitten by that rosewood/maple/abalone beauty. If the tone is more 000 than parlor, it's definitely the one.

I got pretty fat fingers, myself and I'm good with it. I mean, I'm not Johnny Hiland fat fingers but I don't haz the slim digits.

However, If you like the Seagull S6 kind of spacing, this might not be wide enough.

• Members

I got pretty fat fingers, myself and I'm good with it. I mean, I'm not Johnny Hiland fat fingers but I don't haz the slim digits.

However, If you like the Seagull S6 kind of spacing, this might not be wide enough.

I can get by on most narrower necks. My HD-28, Epi AJ and Breedlove Atlas all have adequate spacing for what I need. I just have to be a little more deliberate when fretting. I've had a couple with too narrow spacing. On one, I took a 1 3/4" nut and sanded down the ends and replaced the stock nut. There was enough room outside the E's to do so, but just barely. Overall, I prefer 1 3/4". Don't need Seagull wide.

• Members

I just have a thing for tobacco sunburst
:)

Just dawned on me that one doesn't have the abalone purfling. It is nice. I have some sunburst finishes and like them plenty. I can't see paying an extra $100 for a preamp and pickup I don't need. Plus, a barn door on a small body like that really seems out of place. Not crazy about them in general.

Archived