Install pick-up in acoustic...or buy already installed acoustic electric?

chubrocker

• Members

I have a prototype Washburn that I just love. The neck is comfortable and it has an excellent tone. Since its a prototype, the value is not that great. The wood all over is gorgeous. But, the binding is showing "bubbles" here and there where it appears the glue is not holding up. So....

Do I get an internal pickup installed? For a little for $300, Taylor guitars will install its internal system on any acoustic guitar.

Or...I like the Ibanez Exotic Woods and I've tried a Breedlove model too at Guitar Center. I'm open to spending $500 on an A/E.

Pros/Cons?

• Members

If you have a guitar you really favor
Add your own, you really do not have to go to a high dollar system to to a decent job either, But it depends on what you want.

Simple set ups could be a decent sound hole pick up, or a Prestige pup from JJB http://www.jjb-electronics.com/prestige.html then run this into a decent Preamp/Di such as the Baggs or an Ultrasound then into your amp or pa and you have it.......

Many would suggest using a decent mic to capture your sounds and that has it's own set of pros and cons

Then you can go fancier with multiple types of pick ups sort of a mix and match there are a few here running that kind of a set up........

Really it comes down to what you want to see what fits you best. I am pro adding your own all though I do also have two different acoustic/electrics, I have added my own to a couple of different guitars now with great results

• Members

I have a prototype Washburn that I just love. The neck is comfortable and it has an excellent tone. Since its a prototype, the value is not that great. The wood all over is gorgeous. But, the binding is showing "bubbles" here and there where it appears the glue is not holding up. So....

Do I get an internal pickup installed? For a little for $300, Taylor guitars will install its internal system on any acoustic guitar.

Or...I like the Ibanez Exotic Woods and I've tried a Breedlove model too at Guitar Center. I'm open to spending
$500 on an A/E

Pros/Cons?

They best A/E I have ever played at $499 is the Yamaha FGX 730SCA. A great guitar and worth every penny.

• Members

If you have a guitar you really favor

Add your own, you really do not have to go to a high dollar system to to a decent job either, But it depends on what you want.

Simple set ups could be a decent sound hole pick up, or a Prestige pup from JJB
then run this into a decent Preamp/Di such as the Baggs or an Ultrasound then into your amp or pa and you have it.......

Many would suggest using a decent mic to capture your sounds and that has it's own set of pros and cons

Then you can go fancier with multiple types of pick ups sort of a mix and match there are a few here running that kind of a set up........

Really it comes down to what you want to see what fits you best. I am pro adding your own all though I do also have two different acoustic/electrics, I have added my own to a couple of different guitars now with great results

2nd this idea...if you play at lower volumes/solo, the JJB and preamp set-up is hard to beat, if you play at louder volumes/ensemble, a UST or a soundhole p/u may be better.

I, personally, favor a UST and a single JJB (on the bass side of the bridge plate)...very full sound, not too back for feedback, either.

• Members

Thanks, this is all helpful.

I'll be playing thru a PA (400 seat converted gym for church) or going direct into the computer for recording. I want a full sound, nothing tinny. I have a Lace soundhole pup, but it does not pick up the E and A string well at all.

What about the Aura 16 pedal as the preamp?

• Members

In your specific situation, I would say to go ahead and install the pickup.

In other situations, I would say it depends. I play a Taylor 114ce with built-in piezo and preamp, and I wouldn't trade it's natural or amplified sound for anything. If you were considering that as a new guitar, I'd say go for it, but they're retailing for about $850 right now. The A/Es around the $1k-$1500 range are very good guitars with decent to very good electronics.

In your price range, however, an A/E most often sells itself on the "electric" half, and often not very well. I agree with the "all show, no go" of Ibby A/Es; they have a very plastic sound to their pickup. You have an acoustic whose sound you love. I daresay that drilling three holes for the control knobs and carving out a small hole by the jack for the battery case is not going to drastically alter its tone. I do think that the ES-T is one of the better, more transparent piezo systems you can install.

Failing that, at least look at a different A/E. In your $500 price range, the Yamaha FGX730sc is a great dread with a capable pickup system and integral tuning. Breedlove Passports are wonderful $300 beaters that you could add a preamp system onto for around your budget, and there are a few pre-loaded gits in the series for around your budget ($449-$549). Try before you buy, but you can do much better than an entry-level Ibby for $500.

• Members

Adding a pick-up is no big deal. I put a Fishman under-saddle in my Yamaha, and it went so well, I would have no worries doing one in an expensive guitar now. Just take your time and it will go fine.

ETA: Fishman and LR Baggs both make very nice sounding under-saddle rigs for about $100.

• Members

There are many variable in recording and playback, things on both ends can color what we hear But here are a few sample you may wish to give a listen to
http://www.jjb-electronics.com/sound_clips.html , If I recall correct Rob's clips are done with him plugging straight into computer, no preamp, to give you something to "go on" Do not know if this will help but figure it can not hurt!

• Members

TES. I got a virus going to this site.

Honestly do not believe you got a virus going to Jessie's site......

Many people have gone and do go to his site, including many from this very forum

Nothing is impossible, But I would tend to think either your antivirus gave you a false reading or You actually got a virus somewhere else.......Again anything is possible, But I am not the only one that will speak up for Jessie and his web site, his products and his customer service.

• Members

Pros/Cons?

This is a new one on me. I didn't think Taylor's system was able to be installed on another brand guitar due to the way they produce their necks. I can't see anything on their website that says they will now sell their system seperate from their guitars.

On the other hand the regular under saddle pickup, ES-T, can probably be fitted to anything but then the Fishman Matrix system (amongst others) is cheaper and at least as good if not better.

• Members

I've had a lot of luck with the Baggs RTSII ribbon transducer w/ endpin preamp. They're easy to install and there are no voicing challenges. You do have to remove thirty thousandths from the bottom of your saddle to maintain your action height, but you can do the whole job in less than an hour and it's a great sounding, balanced pickup.

Archived