Dobro nylon string

boxofrocks

• Members

So I picked up this 30 year old nylon string at the auction last week for $7 bucks.

And grabbed me a bar for 18 bucks, and a pack of strings for 8 bucks.

Sat down and started in on some blues, and son of a bleep, slide sounds sooooo good on a nylon string it's unreal.

The one thing I never could stand about slide guitar is that scratchy tone, harmonica too, I hate harps lol.. Anyway, the nylon strings are mellow, and warm, and smooth, all of that scratchy metal slide against metal strings tone I hate is gone.

If you never tried it, give it a shot guys, give it a shot..

I figured if I didn't like it, I'm only out $7, but turns out, it's delicious. Old woody tone of an old nylon string, with a slide.. MMMMM MMMM Good..

[YOUTUBE]FafzVvgH2qw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Yeah, slide on nylons is very cool. If you're not playing Hawaiian style (aka lap steel), then you've got to really work on getting the right slide weight for the nylons to play bottleneck. Volume may be a concern, too. Could work nicely with other gutboxes, ukes or fingerstyle players, but it'd probably be lost with someone banging on a dread.

That scratchy sound is mojo. Don't lose it. :cop:

fyi, if you're getting into acoustic lap steel, you may wish to check this out.

• Members

Sounds nice. :thu:

I think you will struggle to find a set of nylon strings with monofilament nylon basses. You might try La Bella 900 series strings - these have the wound basses polished smooth so they might not be as noisy as roundwound basses.

• Members

Ahhh. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to search for the right set of strings for what I'm looking for. These are ok for now, they work. I was just shocked, how good it sounded for $7 bucks, I spent more on strings and the bar than I did the guitar lol.. I had to share it.

I know that scratchy metal tone IS the blues mojo, but I never got along with it. The nylon is smooth. Like it very much. :thu:

Archived