Fingerstyle inspiration: Pete Huttlinger

kwakatak

• Members

Sure they are. Tommy was bestowed "Certified Guitar Player" status by Chet Atkins before his death in 1999 whereas Pete Huttlinger was the 2000 National Fingerstyle Guitar Champion at the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, Kansas. They're also extraordinary multitaskers:

Pete Huttlinger:

[YOUTUBE]17dtwjr5R6E&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Tommy Emmanuel with his "band":

[YOUTUBE]z6UIXEDZGmg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Kwakatak* You should try the Fingerstyle contest at Winfield.. My friend Mary Flower came in second twice and won 2 beautiful guitars.. She sold both because she only plays old L-00 Gibson`s, but that Taylor she won was probably a $5-6k guitar.

I competed in it in the 80`s when I was playing alot of fingerstyle and it was a blast and a great learning experience.. I know..music shouldn`t be a competition..blablabla, but if you take it in stride it can be loads of fun and a reason to practice more.

• Members

Thanks for the confidence but I'm at a point in my life where music serves a purely personal purpose. I used to love drawing but when I tried to eke out a profession with it I ended up losing my love for it.

• Members
I klnow, i`ve seen both of them at winfield, tommy probably 6-7 times, and I saw Pete win. Tommy is VERY well rounded and just in another league imo.

I have also seen Tommy and Pete at the Walnut Vally festival; hands down Tommy is in a different league.:cool:

• Members

OK, I'll bite: how so? Technically Pete is no slouch but as far as energy and crowd appeal I do have to give the nod to Tommy. I've only seen him live once but his personality alone brightens up the whole room.

• Members

OK, I'll bite: how so? Technically Pete is no slouch but as far as energy and crowd appeal I
do
have to give the nod to Tommy. I've only seen him live once but his personality alone brightens up the whole room.

I didn't mean to infer that Pete was a slouch, his playing is stellar and amazing, but "plastic or square" somehow. I've heard him play several times and aside from the new addition of Superstition(crazy arrangement) and other Stevie Wonder tunes, the performance was the same right down to the stories - ergo "Darcy's guitar". It's like hearing a classical trained piano student who plays all the correct notes, dynamics and the like, but lacks something that another player delivers with the same piece.

Tommy's playing seems more natural-less rehearsed and different every time I hear him. I hope this doesn't come off snobbish because that's not my intent - just merely expressing the difference I see between two players(entirely subjective). I do appreciate Pete Hutlinger as a guitar player, but I appreciate him the same way every time I see him. A Tommy Emanuel performance is different - maybe there is more feeling in his playing, I don't know. Maybe showmanship does have a little to do with it, but for me that's just icing on the cake that Tommy delivers. Whatever it is, musically, it hits me differently every time.

• Members

Dude! I just played a show with Pete and he is The Man. Also a fellow Berklee Alum. His "Isn't She Lovely" is outstanding. Actually that whole album is. Have you guys heard it? It's called "Fingerpicking Wonder" and it's all Stevie Wonder songs. Highly recommend it.

• Members

Yeah, Pete Huttlinger doesn't seem to play many errant notes whereas Tommy is all flourishes and embellishments. "Piano recital" seems an apt enough description whereas TE's melodies are almost vocal in nature.

Ellen, did he give you a lesson? Hudman says that Pete friended him on facebook and responds to messages but no lessons.

• Members

Ellen, did he give you a lesson? Hudman says that Pete friended him on facebook and responds to messages but no lessons.

Not technically, but we jammed backstage:

s3ptnd.jpg

He's on the right, I'm in the middle. It was fun to watch him play and bounce ideas off of him. I was working on a really fast song of his at the time and he taught me that speed isn't everything, but that if you can play fast that's not so bad. ;)

• Members
Man, that's cool. I envy you; I
really
need to get out more.
:facepalm:

I got lucky. The guy on left is a fellow student and he and I play a lot together. He's a bit older and he recently recorded an album in Nashville that Pete produced. A cool non-profit organization we work with her in the Northeast wanted to do a benefit concert and since we were willing to do it for practically nothing and Pete was a friend of my friend, we were able to get him in to perform. Ed Gerhard played that show too, there's a video on Youtube somewhere of us all playing the last song together...

...Found it. It's a long one, so feel free to skip around. Ed did a really long intro.

Archived