Recording Electro acoustic; mic or line?

Adey

• Members

Hi there,

My girlfriend has a Takamine EF261S WR.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?client=opera&rls=en&q=EF261S%20WR&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

My only way of recording this is to either mic it or plug it straight into my pc.

I've found micing it to be far better so far. But seeing as it is designed as an electro, would it sound better than micing if i have the appropriate gear?

I dont even know what gear that would be, how do people hook up electros live?

Do they use a DI or some other gear to make the guitar sound more natural?

I know there are amps for elecros, would this sound better miced or lineout-ed than direct micing to the guitar.

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, i dont really go for electros, but the guitar is so much better than my

• Members

No. You will almost ALWAYS get better results on any acoustic guitar by putting a good mic on it, than using the onboard electronics, no matter how sophisticated the on-board electronics might be. Of course, if you want to go all out, the BEST results are usually obtained by using two (or more) mics AND taking a feed from the on-board electronics. You will usually only want to mix in a teeny, tiny little bit of the channel from the guitar's electronics, but it will often add something to the overall mix.

• Members

No. You will almost ALWAYS get better results on any acoustic guitar by putting a good mic on it, than using the onboard electronics, no matter how sophisticated the on-board electronics might be. Of course, if you want to go all out, the BEST results are usually obtained by using two (or more) mics AND taking a feed from the on-board electronics. You will usually only want to mix in a teeny, tiny little bit of the channel from the guitar's electronics, but it will often add something to the overall mix.

Wot he sez! +1 :thu::thu::thu:

The 'leccies in most cheap'ish A/E's are just there because people think they might need them someday. Actually, most 'leccies sound ok,like , when playing an A/E gig, but if ye want to record, there's nothing but two condenser mics, one aiming at the 14th fret some 8-12 inches away and one over yer fretting shoulder pointig at the same area, same 8-12 inches away.

Ye might want to mix in a bit of the ;leccies, but I rarely do. YMMV, tho...

Archived