How do I learn to improvise?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I learned a lot back when I got started by just playing with the songs on the radio (back in the day when there was good music on the radio). Not playing note for note but picking out other leads and just playing them to the song itself. Did get me into a bad habit, I'm pattern player more than a scale player and even though the brain want's to think scales, the fingers seem to fall into the same old grooves....

This is a huge problem for me. I have a good ear and I can put on a random song and get the key quickly--once I start playing along, however, I always fall into the same patterns! I actually stop playing sometimes because I get bored. :mad:

I find it hard to learn licks because I'm never sure how/when to use them, and I don't have the patience to learn complete, multi-page solos from tab. :facepalm:

What to do for the likes of me???

• Members

I think one of the things that has really helped me has been using my H2 Zoom. I'll record a song or just some progression and use the cord they gave me with it and plug it in an amp. I use to just plug it into my house stereo, but I just use a small amp now. Works great for me! I know the chords so I can experiment over the top of them. I use it for both my mando or guitar.

Bob

• Members

Not wishing to split hairs -
I
think you
learn
to play songs/melodies, but
improvisation
is the product of natural ability - you've either got it or you haven't!

Natural ability may be a factor, but it isn't a limiting factor. Like learning to play songs, improvisation is a learned skill. Natural ability may get you off to a quicker start, but without practice you probably won't excel. Most of the great improvisors spend hours and years woodshedding scales, licks, and patterns to be able to do what they do. Woodshedding is practice.

So it isn't a question of either you've got it or you haven't, rather it's a question of whether you have practiced or you haven't.

• Members

For instance, in Gypsy jazz, Arabic scales come into play surprisingly often:

rastscale-tab.png
Here's some simple modes to start with:

2-string-modal-guitar-scale-sequence-1.j

Um, the first scale is just the Dorian mode. Is it an Arabic scale because of the micro-tonal bends?

In the second example brings up a good point about using your ears. Those lead lines don't aurally imply the mode listed immediately above at all. They imply the mode that starts on the first note, E phryg, F lyd, etc. They only imply the listed mode if you actually play that chord over top...

Personally, I learned to improvise the old fashioned way: Looped accompaniment and fingers on autopilot. If you've got the chops, put on the the backing track and get into a mood. Your mood will determine what comes out of the instrument. If you have no mood, stay up late. You'll get one.

• Members

Natural ability may be a factor, but it isn't a limiting factor. Like learning to play songs, improvisation is a learned skill. Natural ability may get you off to a quicker start, but without practice you probably won't excel. Most of the great improvisors spend hours and years woodshedding scales, licks, and patterns to be able to do what they do. Woodshedding is practice.

So it isn't a question of either you've got it or you haven't, rather it's a question of whether you have practiced or you haven't.

Point taken Stack - I stand corrected! I'm just overawed by these guys that seem to effortlessly blend into anything that's being played and, therefore, tend to forget that years of or experience and practice might be a contributing factor.

• Members

Do it like the old blues guys. They didn't get it from books or the internet. They learned from each other and from trial and error.

Sit around with other players and take your turn taking a lead. Do it enough and you will learn what sounds right and what doesn't.

Archived