A question for you nylon-string players

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Whenever I play a nylon string guitar it sounds like its strung with fishing line rather than guitar strings. I'm sure part of it is my picking technique, as I'm used to steel strings, but could it also be that the strings are a lower-tension nylon string?

I use the D'Addario EXP44 extra hard tension nylon set for just the very reason you stated. They will still feel looser than steel, but for me they give me the best feel when moving between nylon & steel string guitars. After playing steel string 13s, playing a medium tension nylon set just feels like rubber bands to me.

• Members

I use the D'Addario EXP44 extra hard tension nylon set for just the very reason you stated. They will still feel looser than steel, but for me they give me the best feel when moving between nylon & steel string guitars. After playing steel string 13s, playing a medium tension nylon set just feels like rubber bands to me.

I, too prefer a higher-tension set these days, for exactly the same reasons...I like the sets w/ the composite G string, as a regular G is kinda flabby sounding on my gut-string.

• Members

I do prefer to go with higher tension nylon strings, but it's still not like playing a steel string acoustic. That said, I like that it's different, just like my electrics feel different to my acoustics, and my fretless bass feels different to my fretted bass. On a nylon string, I find my right hand can be a bit more agile, and the more mellow sound suits the lighter feel of the instrument IMO. :)

• Members

Its all in the fingers...sounds on a nylon stringed guitar emote piano-like tone when asked to or Flamenco like tones. Rasqueado techniques sound better on the nylon as does various permutations of fingered broken chords. That is not to say that it can't be done on steel strings, only that it sounds better. My opinion obviously.

• Members

I like the sets w/ the composite G string, as a regular G is kinda flabby sounding on my gut-string.

Ever try a wound G. I think there are some makers (LaBella?) that make sets with a wound G. I usually buy a D'Addario 0.24" single and use that with the EXP44 set as a wound G, works great, gives a lot more sound & projection with none of that typical nylon G flabbiness.

Archived