Ovangkol alongside Rosewood anybody

smokeynichol

• Members

I don't have an ovangkol dread. FWIW, ovangkol is supposedly equivalent to rosewood in tone. Bubinga is supposedly equivalent to Brazilian rosewood in tone.

Neither alternative tonewood has drawn much attention for their excellent tone and unique beauty ... mainly because they are cheap.

Go figure.

EDIT: If you're looking for an alternative to mahogany, it's lacewood. Lacewood supposedly has the tonal characteristics of aged mahogany.

• Members

James Goodall makes guitars with Bubinga back and sides, very pretty. My aunt has a piano thats Bubinga. I'd have considered buying a Bubinga Goodall, but liked the Blackwood much better. Probably has more to do with the tops than anything though from what I understand.

• Members

I read an article in "Wood & Steel" a while back. Here's a chart they used to differentiate between tone woods.

Tone-Graph.jpg

The dotted lines signify where the guitar will "open up" with time. So the way I read it, Ovangkol has a warmer mid range where as the Rosewood is more balanced?

• Members

Bubinga is supposedly equivalent to Brazilian rosewood in tone.

Neither alternative tonewood has drawn much attention for their excellent tone and unique beauty ... mainly because they are
cheap

Go figure.

"Cheap" is a relative term. While my J-100 XTRA is not a 3K guitar, I don't consider it" cheap" and will attest to the excellent tone of bubinga. I'd buy another bubinga Gibson in heartbeat.

• Members

Ovangkol is just a reversed rosewood, meaning that the bass and trebble response are the same but rosewood is known for not having much mid range which makes it ideal for vocals since your voice is mid range, ovangkol has a much higher mid range. I own both guitars and i tend to pick up the rosewood body more for what I am doing now.

• Members

Ovangkol is just a reversed rosewood, meaning that the bass and trebble response are the same but rosewood is known for not having much mid range which makes it ideal for vocals since your voice is mid range, ovangkol has a much higher mid range. I own both guitars and i tend to pick up the rosewood body more for what I am doing now.

so here i am having to decide between rosewood and ovangkol-in basically the same guitar-the Tak Tan 16c(rosewood) and the Tak tan 16Cov(Ovangkol)-i play country, bluegrass,etc., so iam asking which guitar would suit that musical style more??? thanks for your help!

• Members

cheap or cheap? My Taylor 414 may not be in Brazillian rosewood territory price wise but wasn't the cheapest git on the block either. And personally I think the wood looks lovely, but maybe I just have an example with very nice grain and well book-matched. A bit lighter and slightly yellower wood visually compared to rosewood. Isn't Ovangkol related to rosewood biologically?

Sound wise I can confirm the quality of the bass tones - one of the first things I noticed when I got mine was the richness of the low bass end. I have never tried a 414LTD with rosewood back and sides and the 700 series is all-gloss finish etc so a side by side comparison of the two woods isn't really possible I feel.

• Members

I don't have an ovangkol dread. FWIW, ovangkol is supposedly equivalent to rosewood in tone. Bubinga is supposedly equivalent to Brazilian rosewood in tone. . . .

Odd. My old 12-string has bubinga back and sides and I find it more similar to mahogany than anything else. I wouldn't think it would sound like rosewood of any species but here are the expert opinions:

John Calkin http://www.guitarnation.com/articles/calkin.htm

Bubinga. This is a wonderful wood in every respect. It is as hard as the rosewoods, but has a finer texture with no pores to fill. It bends easily and holds its' shape. The brownish-purple color is close enough to rosewood to look familiar. To top it off, bubinga is cheap even from tonewood suppliers. The only hitch is that you can't sell a bubinga guitar. Call it African rosewood, its' inaccurate nickname, and you'll have no problem. Flatsawn bubinga shows a stunning bee's-wing pattern. Quartered wood is plainer, but still pretty. I like this wood a ton. It deserves more recognition.

Chris Herrod http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/alttonewoods.asp

The remaining rosewood alternatives, on the other hand, are relatively inexpensive and easy to come by. From Africa there's bubinga, which has a nice reddish-mauve brown color and often sports an interesting 'bees-wing' figure that gives a nice three-dimensional shimmer to wood under finish.

Paul Woolson http://www.woolsonsoundcraft.com/Tonewoods/tonewoods.html

Bubinga is quickly becoming a favorite wood with custom builders, and may soon find its way into large production shops. This wood, which comes from Africa, has a tremendously rich sound replete with warm even tones and a brilliant sparkle across the entire spectrum. It is plentiful and available in a wide variety of cosmetic appearances. Typically Bubinga has a mottled "bees-wing" appearance under finish that is absolutely gorgeous, and also can be acquired with strong ropey curl.

• Members

Neither alternative tonewood has drawn much attention for their excellent tone and unique beauty ... mainly because they are
cheap

Not only is it less expensive, a big reason why some builders are moving to those woods is that they are SUSTAINABLE.

They grow relatively quickly, in releatively easy to manage environments. Yeah, they're cheap to buy in blanks and logs for manufacturers, but it's cheap because it's common and easy to replace, not because it's bad wood.

Archived