Should I buy this Martin?

Hoodoo

• Members

I recently fell in love with a cheap Martin DM dated around 97'. Sounded and felt great. I should have gotten it then but wanted to trade in unused gear. Two days later when I got back to the store it was gone:(

My question- does anyone play a Martin DM and what are your thoughts on it? Also, I've seen a few of these guitars on ebay but have alway been weary of buying guitars on ebay- I always like to play/feel them but this guitar is no longer made and are hard to come by because they are used.

I need advice on Martin's, are they all very similar in feel/sound within a line? Is it worth taking a chance on buying one without ever playing it?

In addition I've found one about 2.5 hours away from me from a very good music shop that is well trusted (they say it had a "top seam split repair job) not sure what that is or if it's bad long term for the guitars health. This one is from 00' and I've heard the older you get the better sounding.

I'd love to take a trip to the store but it will be very difficult to get to the store so it would be easier and a bit cheaper to get it off ebay.

I'm mostly an electric player so I don't have much knowledge with acoustic guitars. This guitar will be used on the road quite a bit. I hope someone can offer some advice!

Thanks

• Members

I've bought several things off e-bay, but there's a definite value to playing an instrument before you buy it. Especially when you're not familiar with a particular model.

I would suspect that a used Martin dread in good shape at a good price won't disappoint. I don't own a Martin, but I've seen the factory and obviously the company is the industry standard.

• Members

I have a DM and have played many other DM's... I think they are one of Martin's BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK guitars. The quality and tone was great on all I've played. IMO... It's a safe buy unplayed. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a used one. (w/case)

Completely agree. I got one about 10 years ago and really liked it. I also have a D28, and I found that the DM was my goto guitar for fingerpicking blues. I gave the guitar to my son, otherwise I would still have it. The DM is very deep, but not as a bright as a D28.

• Members

If you've already played that model before and know that you love it, I'd say go for it. Another one won't be significantly different from the specific one that you played before.

I've played many guitars in stores and would not say this is true about every brand out there (Gibson Especially) but Martin does a great job of consistent sound per make/model. If you liked the one at the shop I'ld say go for it. There are many online stores that offer a return policy as well.

Archived