Tommy Emmanuel & Frank Vignola play Nuages

Stackabones

• Members

I'm a big admirer of Tommy, though he tends to be a bit showy, and sometimes not in the service of the music. I'm often more intrigued by Frank when he plays with other musicians - he always seems to be transforming his own playing a bit to make the exchanges more seamless, whereas Tommy goes into his bluesy-run muscle memory. I think I prefer the flavor of jazzier scales - melodic minor, diminished, whole-tone, etc., particularly in a Django piece. But I do like the fact that Frank was more accommodating than envelope-pushing.

There's a different kind of symbiosis in this video - Frank playing with Julian Lage. Julian's playing is alpha-ish, for lack of a better term, but the duet remains collaborative and highly spontaneous. Two archtops in this one, looks like a Parker and a Gibson.

wfqop_kmvQ0

• Members

I saw them both in concert 6 months ago. I have to admit that I really enjoyed the Frank Vignola Trio more so than Tommy E. I can appreciate the talent and skill Tommy has but I really enjoy the kind of music (jazz) that Frank Vignola plays. Tommy is not only an amazing guitarist but also an entertainer so he tends to be "over the top" a bit. But hey he's Tommy E. ;) When Tommy played with Frank & The Trio at the end it was insane. Tommy definitely can hold his own with those Gypsy players I must say. :thu:

Archived