:facepalm: HNHD (harp)

sixgunner455

• Members

I ... bought ... a Hohner Special 20. :facepalm: And I've been playing it non-stop since it got here Wednesday.

Crappy web cam capture:

harmonicaediting.jpg

There is some back story to this.

My dad was a proselyting minister at one time, and could not play an instrument. So, he scraped up a few bucks and bought a harmonica, and taught himself to play it.

He gave me a cheap one when I was a kid, and then an Echo double sided one that he'd had for a long time. I played around with them, figured out some hymns, but that was about it. Just a toy to me. Even had a "Little Lady" keychain harp.

Mom was a classically trained musician. Harmonicas annoy her. A lot. So, when dad plays, he plays outside, or when she's not home. He plays piano now, so he plays that a lot more.

I guess I kind of took a middle road from that - I got serious about music, and stopped playing around with the harmonica very much. French Horn, piano, music theory, choir, and eventually guitar.

So, a few months ago, TNFrank started posting all those clips and angst threads about his harps, and I got to missing my harmonicas. And I went to get one out, and I can't find it - just the empty box it came in.

We gave our son one for Christmas a few years ago, so I stole it from him and played around with it, and then he'd steal it back, and ... yeah. That's kind of gross, really.

So, I got on a bunch of different harp websites, and read them. And read TAH's thoughts about them. And listened to lots of youtube files. And I couldn't seem to make myself stop looking around and listening, but couldn't make myself actually buy one. As I told Frank once, "I don't *want* to buy any harps. I want a Taylor! I want to save my money!"

Well, last week, I finally kicked myself out of the rut when I realized that I have purchased, without blinking, guitar accessories that cost a lot more than a pro-grade diatonic harmonica. I spent sixty bucks on strings and picks for Christmas, for example, and a really nice Levy's leather strap on top of that. Didn't even phase me. So I just ordered one.

It's a lot of fun. And it's the nicest harp I can remember playing. Lots easier to play than my son's China-made Hohner.

So, happy little-shiny-handmade-German-pocket-thing-day to me! :D

• Members

Happy New Harp Day, Sixgunner. Frank's jabber got to me too. The only harp I had was an old Hohner Lancer, made in Ireland, that I've had since the mid 60s. Well, I also had a 7-piece set of Chinese harps, but those don't count. Pure junk.

The difference between you and me is that I called MF and ordered the whole 5-piece set of Hohner Special 20s with the case. They were $129.99......I think that was a "sale" price at the time....not sure. Doesn't matter...I like 'em and, like you said, I could've spent more money on other stuff that I really don't need. I've had mine since December 23. Nice harps.

I know TAH likes the Big River harps, and I'm sure they're good ones. But I believe these Special 20s are just a notch above those. Glad I got 'em. Happy Harping!!

• Members

:thu:

I just started playing harmonica, my friend who I run the open mic night with brought an 'A' and and 'E' last week, with one of those things that goes over your head so you can play guitar at the same time.

I had a 'G' at home that another friend gave me a few weeks ago and I'd been 'messing around' with that... I really enjoy adding parts to my songs, improvising and such. The new Decemberists album has Harp all over it, so it's kind of inspired me to learn a little. Great fun.

• Members

Happy New Harp Day, Sixgunner. Frank's jabber got to me too. The only harp I had was an old Hohner Lancer, made in Ireland, that I've had since the mid 60s. Well, I also had a 7-piece set of Chinese harps, but those don't count. Pure junk.

The difference between you and me is that I called MF and ordered the whole 5-piece set of Hohner Special 20s with the case. They were $129.99......I think that was a "sale" price at the time....not sure. Doesn't matter...I like 'em and, like you said, I could've spent more money on other stuff that I really don't need. I've had mine since December 23. Nice harps.

I know TAH likes the Big River harps, and I'm sure they're good ones. But I believe these Special 20s are just a notch above those. Glad I got 'em. Happy Harping!!

This is a really nice harp. I thought about getting a Big River, but decided to just get the one that all the websites say is the best 'good' harp to start learning how to really play the thing on.

I decided to just get one for now, and see if I really have as much fun messing around with it as I think I will, or as much as I remembered having with my old ones. And I have been, at least this week. We'll see. At least now, if all I want to do is mess around and play a hymn now and then, I've actually got one, it's easy to play, it doesn't pull on my beard or moustache, and I'm not swapping it back and forth with an 11yo boy.

Maybe I'll get one or two more for my birthday. lol!

• Members

The Big River Harps seem a little "wamer" sounding, while the Special 20s seem to project more, kind of like comparing a good mahogany flat-top w/ a good maple arch-top.

Both are good for what they do, both seem to hold up about the same, structurally. :)

Archived