Funny how the tide turns after almost 30 years of playing!

KATMAN

• Members

When I first started to play,I had a acoustic with meduim gauge strings.But what I really wanted was a electric,I wanted to rock out,learn lead and wail like the rest of them.I had a period where my acoustic was growing dust while I learned scales and such,even had a Kramer with a Floyd Rose!

Fast forward to 30 years later.My electrics get little play these days in favor of my Yamaha clasical with cutaway. I've grown to love nylon strings,maybe it has something to do with being a fan of Willie Nelson.The Takamine still gets played when I want to play steel strigs,and the resonator when I want to play some good ol' Delta blues. Most of the music I listen to is acoustic,other than Willie Nelson.Much like alcohol,I lost taste for high volume rock.Maybe I'm just getting old,but I think I'm just agin better.

Is this a older thing,or am I just going back to the basics? No amps needed,no distortion,pick rakes or finger tapping. I've reverted back to playing cowboy chords once again and loving.Funny,after 30 years I came back to the pure sound of the acoustic.My electrics are still here,maybe next week I'll jam to some Stevie Ray Vaughn.Anybody else go back,or is it just me?

• Members

I'm with ya! However, I sold all my electrics and now just have acoustics (and some pretty nice electrics found new homes). Unlike you, I started out (35 years ago) on electric teaching myself to play from old KISS records. Got into some cover rock bands in junior and high school years. Went to some original bands in my 20's with my hair down to my a$$. Went to some punk and grunge original bands in my early 30's. Went to top-40 working bands in my late 30's. Now just play and write on my acoustics in my mid-40's and am lovin' every minute of it.

• Members

I like 'em both. In my world, the acoustic stuff is largely for solo-made music, the electric stuff is for group-made music. Both are extremely satisfying for me. A kind of yin-and-yang thing, I guess. That said, I have a sh*t load of acoustic guitars and just a couple of electrics, so that must mean something..... ;)

• Members

Katman,

I also like Willie Nelson that much i payed a young student lassie a fair sum of money
to get his pic painted onto my acoustic pick guard
When i was young i bought my 1st guitar an acoustic unlike the others my age when 16yrs old as they went elec
BUT i never once went to a teacher and to this day i do not regret not doing so
only thing i regret is i then never had any patience to learn as other things when young
happen in life and things change much more quickly ..

Anyhow now much older + wiser ive been learning again and have the patience
think age brings more of such..and like you now having some fun learning
and playing the Cowboy songs LOL Willie Nelson or was he not an Indian ?
he certainly looks like one :)

Anyhow its always been the acoustic guitar head and heels over elec/guitar for me
just much prefer the sound of acoustic..But ive also bought an sound-hole p/up
though not been used as yet really..But maybe in the near future
meantime ENJOY :)

• Members

Yeah, funny where it takes you.

Although I cant play anything from start to finish, I thought I would be playing fast folkrock..Levellers New Model Army Three Daft Mokeys etc, Im now gravitating towards Baroque/Renaissance. I even enjoy classical, and think of transcribing piano to guitar. Very grand assumptions for my skill level, but hey..

• Members

Is this a older thing,or am I just going back to the basics? No amps needed,no distortion,pick rakes or finger tapping. I've reverted back to playing cowboy chords once again and loving.Funny,after 30 years I came back to the pure sound of the acoustic.My electrics are still here,maybe next week I'll jam to some Stevie Ray Vaughn.Anybody else go back,or is it just me?

I think I've gone full circle too, KATMAN. I got through my "Hey Joe", "Midnight Hour" and "Mustang Sally" days over 40 years ago. I'm back to my "Folsom Prison Blues" days again.

• Members

I had a Kramer Beretta,one humbucker,one volume knob,the way Eddie Van Halen liked them.It was a good guitar for what it's worth back in the day.I traded a Ovation for it,and a cheap one at that.I only get charged up about the electric when I hear raw blues anymore.Stevie Ray Vaughn is a player I can always listen to,and mostly relate where he's coming from.

• Members

I had a Kramer Beretta,one humbucker,one volume knob,the way Eddie Van Halen liked them.It was a good guitar for what it's worth back in the day.I traded a Ovation for it,and a cheap one at that.I only get charged up about the electric when I hear raw blues anymore.Stevie Ray Vaughn is a player I can always listen to,and mostly relate where he's coming from.

I don't even know what mine is. They told me it's a Striker but I think it's really a 1000. I can't tell for sure. All I know is I got ripped off. That Floyd Rose pisses me off.

FWIW I've since upgraded to an American Standard Strat which is head and shoulders above anything Kramer could put out IMO but it still doesn't get much play.

Archived