Comparing Martin 0015 and Tanglewood TW130 Mahogany guitars.

baldbloke

• Members

Unfortunately I don't have access to a 00015 to compare.

FWIW, I have compared the 00-15 to the 000-15S (the 12-fretter, not the more popular 14-fretter). The 000-15S has significantly more bass -- almost boomy sounding.

I also have an old short-scale 0-15 -- a little brighter and boxier than the 00.

But I love all flavors of mahogany-tops. :)

• Members

Like the format of box, one click and listen to them all..great.

To me, sitting here with my new non audiophile speakers :facepalm: I thought the Martin way more defined, more pronounced bass, or where you playing the TW softer. Both had plenty of feeling tonewise.

Cant help thinking if I could play like that our house might be a bit more relaxed. Its costing me a fortune,, sanity wise, sedating our teenagers.

Truly love it when people do this, thank you.

Could you, when you have the time, tell me how you recorded and uploaded it.

• Members

Like the format of box, one click and listen to them all..great.

To me, sitting here with my new non audiophile speakers
:facepalm:
I thought the Martin way more defined, more pronounced bass, or where you playing the TW softer. Both had plenty of feeling tonewise.

Cant help thinking if I could play like that our house might be a bit more relaxed. Its costing me a fortune,, sanity wise, sedating our teenagers.

Truly love it when people do this, thank you.

Could you, when you have the time, tell me how you recorded and uploaded it.

Thank you.

Open an account at www.box.net .

I recorded direct to pc with a cheap microphone using audacity. Saved as mp3. Uploaded to boxnet. Clicked on share files (Eventually. Lol) Free and simple. Well, fairly simple. Tbh There will be some fiddly bits but it isn't difficult. I (eventually) managed without reading instructions or help files. (bad habit of mine) I suppose the help tips make it even easier.

• Members

Thanks for that, realized Im not going to upload Anji anytime soon, so Ive been trying Janschs piece "Tinkers Blues", thought I might get hold of that a little quicker....nah...even this is bloody tricky, picking on top 4 strings, upto 8 frets, double stops with fingers, double stops with thumb and fingers. You think its just a little jolly, unbelievable talent.

Anyway thats in the file and Ive gotta Dvorak tune from Eric Lugoschs site to try. Would really like to upload something this year, so thanks for the help..

• Members

The Martin sounds a little bit more mellow for sure but that could be because of age. The Tanglewood sounds pretty nice though and will get better with age. It still has that all mahogany sound that I like for playing oldtime blues and folk music. Tanglewood guitars are available at one shop here but they don't have that model yet. I almost bought one of their dreads a couple of years ago. Fantastic sounding guitars for a good price.

Right now I am GASing for either a parlor guitar or a....telecaster....:facepalm:

• Members

First, I want to say a huge thank you for doing this - I kind of egged you into doing it and I want to say that you did an excellent piece of work here (and I also know how much work it must have been). This format is perfect, I listened straight thru each of the clips, then I went back to a couple and sort of went back and forth (if you down load them you can play a couple simultaneously and compare).

Both are great little guitars and well played. I get a little more fullness and warmth from the martin (if I didn't know better I would almost say they were the same guitar with PB's on the Martie and 80/20 on the Tanglewood). The Tanglewood is brighter - I get that in both the DADGAD and open D pieces, but that could be good in a blues box. My preference is the Martin, but is it worth the extra cash, probably not.

I've only played the mahogany Martins (including a prewar 00-17 that was offered to me but because I can't stand the current owner I passed) and a mahogany GAD - this has got my GAS going again.

Lastly, I really did enjoy just sitting back with my beerski and listening to the last two pieces - nicely played and really pleasant. Once again, thank you.

• Members

just a little more feedback..meant constructively..got the volume a little higher now and there is a slight hiss in the background. I really think your playing deserves a better mike (or two). Have you got a paypal acount, Ill start the microphone fund by buying the DADGAD tab,it will keep, when you have time. Once again thank you for soothing my mind..

• Members

just a little more feedback..meant constructively..got the volume a little higher now and there is a slight hiss in the background. I really think your playing deserves a better mike (or two). Have you got a paypal acount, Ill start the microphone fund by buying the DADGAD tab,it will keep, when you have time. Once again thank you for soothing my mind..

Please find attached invoice for dadgad noodle:

• Members

First, I want to say a huge thank you for doing this - I kind of egged you into doing it and I want to say that you did an excellent piece of work here (and I also know how much work it must have been). This format is perfect, I listened straight thru each of the clips, then I went back to a couple and sort of went back and forth (if you down load them you can play a couple simultaneously and compare).

Both are great little guitars and well played. I get a little more fullness and warmth from the martin (if I didn't know better I would almost say they were the same guitar with PB's on the Martie and 80/20 on the Tanglewood). The Tanglewood is brighter - I get that in both the DADGAD and open D pieces, but that could be good in a blues box. My preference is the Martin, but is it worth the extra cash, probably not.

I've only played the mahogany Martins (including a prewar 00-17 that was offered to me but because I can't stand the current owner I passed) and a mahogany GAD - this has got my GAS going again.

Lastly, I really did enjoy just sitting back with my beerski and listening to the last two pieces - nicely played and really pleasant. Once again, thank you.

Very welcome. It was enjoyable. And it didn't take long. 20 mins recording but 40 mins trying to get Audacity to recognise the bloomin' mic. Every time I plug it in, I forget how to make it talk to software... and it's always the same simple solution in the end. Aargh, computers. I luv 'em.

Thanks for the nice words. For information the piece called Hana was on the Martin. The Wild Mountain thyme tune was on a Stonebridge GS23 cr. Cedar, Rosewood). The Stonebridge, to my ears, is perfectly suited to celtic fingerstyle. It often leaves me with a grin on my face - on a good day.

And I still think the Tanglewood gives the Martin a run for its money.

Archived