Sheryl Crow Acoustic?

StratoSlacker

• Members

Anyone have one of these?

I have yet to find one in person that I can try out. Among other things, I like that the neck has rolled edges. I have a telecaster with rolled edges and it is by far the most comfortable guitar neck I have played.

Any thoughts on the quality of the Sheryl Crow acoustic?

Are there other Gibson acoustics that feature rolled edges?

I've been playing an Epi Hummingbird for years now (beefed up on quality electrics and amps, never upgraded my acoustic) While it is a great guitar to play, the tone and volume are a bit lacking. The neck is also so thin and narrow that my hand gets exhausted if I play loads of bar chords.

Thanks!

• Members

I have played one, a few years ago, and loved it. I don't recall the neck details especially but I think it was not too diff from my 74 Gibson H-bird. Based on that one guitar, I'd highly recommend. Certainly light-years beyond any Epi H-bird I've ever played in terms of build quality, tone, feel, loveliness, aesthetics, overall state of grace. And prolly 5 or 6 times the price! But well worth it.

• Members

I've played them and I don't believe there is any difference between the Sheryl Crow and Gibson Hummingbird except the cosmetics. It's probably easier to find a Gibson Hummingbird to audition, and when you do you'll know what the Crow is all about. They're going to be short scale. And the nut width is 1.725 inches, which is a tad wider than most guitars including your Epi Hummingbird, but quite comfortable. They're great playing guitars, fabulous strummers, but pretty pricey new these days. If you can afford it absolutely go for it.

If you'd like to upgrade your Epi Hummingbird for moderate money how about a square shoulder Epiphone Masterbilt? It's long scale like your Epi Hummingbird and you'd find it a major improvement in tone and playablity. And then keep working toward that Sheryl Crow!

• Members

Thanks bransonb. Is that a sales pitch or a recommendation?

LOL! Oh a recommendation for sure. For I have neither to sell. I do own a Hummingbird and a Masterbilt AJ500M and have played almost all Gibson and Epiphone models. I guess that would make me something of a Gibson aficionado? Anyway, I'm happy to talk them up and I hope you got some of what you were looking for.

And by the way, if you go to the Gibson Acoustic web site and click on the Features tab for any particular guitar you'll find the models with rolled edge fingerboards. The Crow, Hummingbird, and J-45 Standard included.

Branson

Archived