Jimmy Page fans

bfloyd6969

• Members

Maybe not Jimmy's best moments.

And certainly, it owes plenty (some might say way too much) to the much earlier Davy Graham version -- one can see just how much by comparing the much different -- versions of that (very old) song by guitarists like Bert Jansch and Richard Thompson.

Jimmy Page has been responsible for some fine guitar moments in his studio career, but it's always seemed to me that the studio and not the stage has been Page's real element.

Graham (this is even worse quality than the Page vid, but you'll get the idea):

Jansch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKAIQjkAiDU&feature=related

Thompson:

• Members

Maybe not Jimmy's best moments.

And certainly, it owes plenty (some might say way too much) to the much earlier Davy Graham version -- one can see just how much by comparing the much different -- versions of that (very old) song by guitarists like Bert Jansch and Richard Thompson.

Jimmy Page has been responsible for some fine guitar moments in his studio career, but it's always seemed to me that the studio and not the stage has been Page's real element.

Agreed. He did so much studio work, even way back when. Legend has it, even played on early Who singles. I saw Zep live once and they weren't that impressive as a show (as compared with for example The Who)--just fantastic songs and musicianship.

I love what he did as de facto "producer" and arranger for the early Zep stuff. He was/is a very inventive guitarist as well. But he (and Zep) freely ripped off all kinds of people for song material.

• Members

That's usually credited as 2 songs - "White Summer" and "Black Mountain Side" that Page usually plays on his Dano DC. Watching Davey Graham play "She Moves Through the Fair" it's pretty clear that's where Page got his inspiration from, but they play it differently with different fingering.

Archived