NTD!! *-*

Misha

• Members

New Tascam DP-008 !!

To Zoom or not to Zoom or to Tascam or... ???

I had an in store credit and decided on the Tascam DP-008.

(This way, if I want a Zoom Q3HD, I'll have a nice combo!!)

I still have ~ 325$ of credit at the same music shop because I returned the Les Paul Ultra that I had bought. A fret was beginning to lift and there was a ding... I told myself: '' Not good! Anyway, I already have a few guits...''

The Tascam DP-008 seems to be a very nice little recording machine. It's more intuitive than the Boss Micro BR that I used to own. Less menus, more physical control knobs. This is also what sold me on the Tascam rather than the Zoom H4n.

Here's a revue that I found online: http://magazine.dv247.com/2010/02/20/tascam-dp008-pocketstudio-review-part-2/

Clip made by the guy who reviewed it: http://magazine.dv247.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/barney-coffee_edit.mp3

• Members

I really love that recorder (the DP-008). I reviewed it in Ukulele Player Magazine. We have regular features on digital recorders and software. The DP-008 is a great performer and the effects are very good. I love the fact that it is TASCAM because they stand behind their products and lots of musicians I know have nothing but good things to say about their gear. I even have an old analog recorder sitting here that is in perfect working condition.

Buy the power-supply if you have not already done so. I did and I am thrilled with it.

• Members

I really like that unit. I already have a Zoom H4 and it is doing very well, but the ability to easily multitrack is very desirable! Wonder if I could sell the H4?

Anyway, congrats Misha! Let us know how you like after a month or two...

• Members

I really like that unit. I already have a Zoom H4 and it is doing very well, but the ability to easily multitrack is very desirable!
Wonder if I could the H4?

Anyway, congrats Misha! Let us know how you like after a month or two...

''Sell'', Totamus or what???

And yes, I'll report back in a month! (If I don't just ask me...) ;)

• Members

I made it clear to the sales rep that I loved the ability to multitrack with the Boss Micro-BR. He told me I would probably be more satisfied with the Tascam DP-008 over the Zoom H4n, then.

I think both the Zoom H4n and the Tascam DP-008 recorders are very nice, but different! The 6 types of reverb are very nice on the Tascam. There is also E.Q. Those features are unavailable on the smller (4-track) DP-004. Personally, I paid 285$ CAD + txes for the 008. The 004 costs around 200$ CAD + taxes. For 85$, the DP-008 is a better deal, IMO. Even better deals may be available, particularly on the Web, in the USA... You lucky folks... !!! ;)

• Members

Thank's BLUtune!

The DP-002 looks nice too! Less portable but more options. I think it doesn't have any integrated mic. ???

The 40Gb hardrive must be really helpful, though!

Imagine what will be available on the market in ten years!! :cool:

:wave:

• Members

Hmmm. May have to get one of those. My Zoom H2 makes dece recordings, but I dislike the menus vs. controls--menus not very intuitive. Plus no EQ. Plus no multi-track.

Michael, look there for a good price (power supply is included in the deal): http://cgi.ebay.com/Tascam-DP-008-Multi-Track-Record-NEW-Free-Power-Supply-/230589343505?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b0322711

• Members

Thank's BLUtune!

The DP-002 looks nice too! Less portable but more options. I think it doesn't have any integrated mic. ???

The 40Gb hardrive must be really helpful, though!

Imagine what will be available on the market in ten years!!
:cool:

:wave:

Nope. No built-in mics on that one. In fact, I really think the unit that you have might be in the "sweet spot" in the Tascam line. The DP-02 being bigger STILL doesn't let you record more than two tracks at a time and STILL doesn't have a drum machine (click track only). I found these to be far too limiting for what I was looking for. I had been using a Boss BR-1600CD and was looking for something to replace it with. I ended up with the Korg D3200, which is much, MUCH more powerful and even now, I'm just basically using it to lay down tracks for import into Sonar.

But there is a trade off between power and ease of use. With the Tascam, I could just jump right in and figure out exactly how to do everything. The D3200 had a user's manual that was 200 PAGES! :eek: And nothing about it was intuitive. :facepalm: I spent the first three weeks with it thumbing through the manual to figure out how to do anything. But the Tascam was REALLY easy to use. In fact, I didn't even NEED to look at the manual. And it's really, really nice to have a simple recorder for laying down song ideas without much fuss. The machine you have would be equally good at that, and may be even better for that purpose due to its small size and built-in microphones.

• Members

Nope. No built-in mics on that one. In fact, I really think the unit that you have might be in the "sweet spot" in the Tascam line. The DP-02 being bigger STILL doesn't let you record more than two tracks at a time and STILL doesn't have a drum machine (click track only). I found these to be far too limiting for what I was looking for. I had been using a Boss BR-1600CD and was looking for something to replace it with. I ended up with the Korg D3200, which is much, MUCH more powerful and even now, I'm just basically using it to lay down tracks for import into Sonar.

But there is a trade off between power and ease of use. With the Tascam, I could just jump right in and figure out exactly how to do everything. The D3200 had a user's manual that was
200 PAGES!
:eek:
And nothing about it was intuitive.
:facepalm:
I spent the first three weeks with it thumbing through the manual to figure out how to do anything. But the Tascam was REALLY easy to use. In fact, I didn't even NEED to look at the manual. And it's really, really nice to have a simple recorder for laying down song ideas without much fuss. The machine you have would be equally good at that, and may be even better for that purpose due to its small size and built-in microphones.

I haven't read the manual yet but recorded my voice easily and put it on my computer.

The batteries that came with the DP-008 are almost dead, already, but I'm going to try Ni-MH rechargeable batteries and see how they last.

I also thought about getting a Zoom R16 but opted for more portability in a less expensive gadget. (R16: http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2009&brandID=4 )

I have a Hughes & Kettner amp that I never use because it's too big for my use and at bedroom level, the white noise is too loud for my taste. I could get a 500$ credit for it. That plus the 325$ credit that I already have would allow me to buy a stage piano, like a Yamaha P95 or a Casio Privia PX-330. That plus a guitar and the DP-008 could be a lot of fun!

• Members

I haven't read the manual yet but recorded my voice easily and put it on my computer.

Yes, the ease of use on the Tascam stuff is wonderful. Nice to not have to get all wrapped up in technical jargon just to lay down a couple of tracks. It also just plain SOUNDS GOOD. I thought it sounded much better than the Boss BR1600 that I had before.

That plus the 325$ credit that I already have would allow me to buy a stage piano, like a Yamaha P95 or a Casio Privia PX-330. That plus a guitar and the DP-008 could be a lot of fun!

I actually have a P95 too. In fact, of the two songs I recorded on the Tascam the couple of weeks that I had it, one of them only had two instruments on it: my Larrivee OM-03 and the Yamaha P95. I just listened to it a few minutes ago. I'm getting ready to re-record it on the Korg, because there were too many mistakes in the playing of the song. But there was nothing wrong with the sound of the instruments.

• Members

Michael, look there for a good price (power supply is included in the deal):

Mon Dieu! This does everything my 7 yr old 8 track Fostex does plus more...and it's like 1/10 the size. And less that half the price. Thanks Mish.

Archived