Ry Cooder: Music vs Scales

Stackabones

• Members

Looks like a J-45 to me.
:idk:

Great post BTW. Cooder makes everything look so easy.

Did Gibson ever make a 12-fret J-45?

It's a Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe, like this one. A Hawaiian guitar converted into a "Spanish" guitar.

g9.jpg

Here's a Roy Smeck Radio Grande, w/ inlays like the one from that Cooter page...different model of a Roy Smeck (he was one of the first "Guitar Heros", btw, from the vaudeville days)...

vintage%20acoustic%20guitar-233220604467

Note this, from that page, also.:

The instruments shown above are samples of the mentioned guitars.

They are not Ry's.

• Members

Did Gibson ever make a 12-fret J-45?

It's a Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe, like this one. A Hawaiian guitar converted into a "Spanish" guitar ...

Ah hah. Thanks Terry. I stand corrected. I wasn't observant enough to see that it was a 12 fretter.

IIRC, T-Bone Burnett plays a Roy Smeck as well.

• Members

Ah hah. Thanks Terry. I stand corrected. I wasn't observant enough to see that it was a 12 fretter.

IIRC, T-Bone Burnett plays a Roy Smeck as well.

Yeah, as does Jackson Browne...guess there's just something about taking down the neck of a square necked Hawaiian and converting it into a Spanish...

• Members

Looked like an old Gibson to me too........had that dry rattle that makes my old Kalamazoo such a bear to record cleanly.

Your Kalamazoo was made by Gibson, during the Depression, but had a few cost cutting features, to make them a bit more affordable, like no truss rod...otoh, I've never seen one w/ a badly warped neck.

A buddy of mine found one, a KG-14 flat-top, at a yardsale, and now has 7 Kalamazoos, 3 being archtops...it's amazing that these can be still found at reasonable prices, while the Gibson versions (which are almost identical in every way) are astronomically priced!

This is the Kalamazoo version of the Roy Smeck Hawaiian, the KHG-11:

KHG-11%20Full%20Front%201.JPG

He's been searching for one of these INTENTLY...possibly they weren't made in very large quantities, while the archtops are much easier to find down here!

• Members

Yeah, Terry, mine is a bit of an odd one I think........a '33, by most accounts, with the all mahogany build that was typical of the Gibsons of that year. Has a very similar sound to the one Mr. Cooder was playing.

Could stand a neck reset but I don't want to mess with it.

IM001415.jpg

Archived