Taylor 400 series and humidity???

smokeynichol

• Members

I would strongly recommend the Planet Waves humidity packs. Store the guitar in its case and put the packs in the double pouch and place it in between the strings of the soundhole. THere is another one you put down by the neck. They provide moisture when the guitar needs it as well as soaking up the moisture when there is too much. Mine usually last a good 3 or 4 months but over the winter I have humidity problems in the house and replace it about once a month or month and a half. You will know when they need replaced...The puches turn hard and crystal like. I love it. Keeps my Martin safe and worry free!!! I tihink it's about 30 bucks to buy the whole set but only 16 to replace the pouches after that. Hope that helps

• Members

just curious as to what should be a concern re. humidity. my son is in the process of picking up his Taylor 400 series and he lives in N. Ontario. it can get pretty dry up there in the fall and winter where the temp. drops to -20 C and below.

Taylors seem to be pretty sensitive to humidity swings - there are lots of cautions in their FAQ's. When I had my 314 I just kept a sponge/baggie in the case (which I do with everything) and it was fine.

• Members

Get him a tupper box that fits into the neck pocket and some green foam from the florist. Drill a dozen 10 mm holes into the lid, put wet foam into tupper bix, close lid, put into neck pocket, remove pocket lid, put guitar in case, close case, check weekly.

• Members

I use a sponge-baggie humidifier. Cheap, simple and effective.

Place a damp (not wet!) kitchen sponge in a ziplock bag. Poke some holes in the bag with a fork. Stash this in the case by the headstock. Check the sponge for moisture about once per week. Once per month, launder the sponge to prevent mildew.

• Members

I also live in Ontario (not far north). Dryness is indeed the problem; there's no real need to worry about excess humidity because those muggy summer days are short-lived.

I use an Oasis humidifier, the kind that hangs into the soundhole, suspended from the strings. It does not touch the wood of the guitar body, so no worries about drips damaging the wood. Planet Waves makes a similar design, but the Oasis lasts longer on a "fill-up". Keep the guitar in its case when not being played, and use distilled water.

I once used a home-made sponge-in-a-baggy humidifier, but the plastic bag reacted badly with the guitar's nitrocellulose finish!

If you wish to humidify the case as well, that's fine, but less important than ensuring that the interior of the body is properly humidified.

Archived