Impressive Pickup Demo (and Impressive Playing!)

• Members

I was looking at some pickups today, and I ran into the Miniflex 2Mic. I didn't recognize the name, so I looked it up and I found this demo:

[YOUTUBE]xKN58SigzVw[/YOUTUBE]

I think it's pretty impressive! That's one of the best-sounding pickups I've ever heard. I could've done with a smidge less reverb, but it was very natural sounding. Not boomy, not boxy, not quacky---just right, like an acoustic guitar should sound.

• Members

Here's the product link:
http://miniflexmic.com/shop/

I've been subscribed to Martin's YouTube channel forever. He's one of the best, imo.

His playing was definitely impressive :thu:!

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these installed in my next guitar if it doesn't already have a pickup installed. When I started looking for something new, I was leaning more towards getting a straight acoustic and putting in a nice, accurate pickup anyway. I'm going to GC tonight (hopefully), so perhaps I'll find "the one" :).

• Members

Ha! The One. Good luck in your quest!

Martin provides very high quality tabs for most of the stuff he's playing there too, btw.

Oh yeah? I'll have to check out his website in that case. I wouldn't mind trying to learn one of the tunes he played in the video, but I'm not a great fingerpicker and it would take a while and since the world is going to end in an hour . . . :p

• Members

I wonder how it holds up against feed back? It does have a good sound when he thumps the top. I wonder how loud he was playing for that demo?

Supposedly, since the microphones are mechanically out of phase, feedback isn't as much of an issue as one would expect. That said, I'd imagine that most people using a pickup like this are probably solo (or small ensemble) artists more concerned with accurate acoustic tone than they are with lots of volume. If you need to cut through drums, bass, and electric guitar, this probably wouldn't be a prime choice.

• Members

I tried this system at a gig once. In the end it's a mic. Mic's are gonna feedback. Seagulls right in that if your playing a library and you have the time to experiment with your PA placement and you have the patience to find a spot (zone) and not move much and your audience is willing to keep extremely quiet (silent in fact) it'll work.

If your playing a Starbucks with minimal traffic and conversation and moderate noise floor you'll fight feedback all night. The dividing line (threshold) where it won't work is definitely not "a live band"...thing MUCH MUCH quieter.

In the end....it's a mic.

PS: Martin Tallstrom is the greatest acoustic guitarist on earth.

• Members

Its the old trade-off. The more natural sounding pickup systems are very problematic with feedback. The blender systems are pretty cool. You can dial in the sound (and feedback level) appropriate for the venue.

Archived