My Martin D-41 needs repair......

starfire_Xes

• Members

It has a crack in the top, from bridge to end, due to me 'dinging' it. I don't mind paying for the repair. It also has marginal intonation, and rather high action. the frets and bridge both show signs of heavy wear. I have owned it for 5 years, since buying new, and played the living {censored} out of it.

The sound is insane,really warm and full of 'ring', as well as a very strong scooped metallic mid-range tone. Just about what i want for a studio acoustic. The playability is good, but limited by the high action and neck relief.

Should I just use as is,since it sounds so butt-kicking sick, or bite the bullet and repair the major defects, and have the frets dressed, etc. I am opting on having it repaired and set up, but ONLY BY THE MARTIN FACTORY.

Opinions?

• Members

i hear where you are coming from, but my real question is, is it worth paying anything when this guitar still plays decently and sounds so sick the no one would turn it down as primar instrument. I mean, this thing has the f'n tone you want for a studiou acoustic, inspite of the moderately tight action....

• Members

Crack, marginal intonation, and not-so-great playability? Fix it! Cracks can negatively affect tone (as well as structural integrity). A low saddle can negatively affect tone as well. If you're happy with it now, you'll love it once it's fixed. :)

• Members

Crack, marginal intonation, and not-so-great playability? Fix it! Cracks can negatively affect tone (as well as structural integrity). A low saddle can negatively affect tone as well. If you're happy with it now, you'll love it once it's fixed.
:)

^ respect

you deserve to have a great playing instrument. None of the repairs mentioned will diminish that bad-ass sound

Another option for repair are my boys at Elderly. They do these kind of Martin repairs in their sleep : http://elderly.com/repair/

• Members

It has a crack in the top, from bridge to end, due to me 'dinging' it. I don't mind paying for the repair. It also has marginal intonation, and rather high action. the frets and bridge both show signs of heavy wear. I have owned it for 5 years, since buying new, and played the living {censored} out of it.

The sound is insane,really warm and full of 'ring', as well as a very strong scooped metallic mid-range tone. Just about what i want for a studio acoustic. The playability is good, but limited by the high action and neck relief.

Should I just use as is,since it sounds so butt-kicking sick, or bite the bullet and repair the major defects, and have the frets dressed, etc. I am opting on having it repaired and set up, but ONLY BY THE MARTIN FACTORY.

Opinions?

If it was you that "dinged" it, you can likely forget about warranty taking care of that part of it. Also, the frets are considered normal wear and tear items, so you'll have to pay for that too. The high action should be taken care of by the normal means, i e, lowering the saddle or removing excessive relief, and it should be taken care of when the other repairs are done. (unless it needs a neck reset, which Martin will do, under warranty.)

The Martin factory is good, but they are a bit costly on non-warranty repairs... more important, the turnaround time is pretty long. Still, they are fully able to address any issues your guitar has, and it should come away from there in tip-top shape. If you speak to anyone about the repairs, make sure to itemize everything you want addressed.

That ain't no Zager POS. Take care of it.

• Members

Plenty of authorized Martin repair facilities in New Mexico.

Arizona Music Pro Flagstaff AZ 86001 928-556-9054 USA map it

Guitar Service Center Mesa AZ 85202-5405 480-831-2525 USA map it

Buchanan Music Mesa AZ 85203-4803 480-461-9161 USA map it

Charles T Cellino Phoenix AZ 85017 602-299-9790 USA map it

Mercy Guitar Hospital Prescott AZ 86303 928-778-9287 USA map it

Sticks N' Strings Music Tucson AZ 85710 520 296 3479 USA map it Rainbow Guitars Tucson AZ 85719-3303 520-325-3376 USA map it

Although I do understand wanting to send it back for treatment. I'm doing the same with a National very soon, but my reason is that there's no one around here that LIKES working on resonators....

• Members

I pretty much agree with what FF says - neither abuse nor wear is covered by warranty, neck setting is usually. However you do not have to send it to the factory - any authorized repair person can do the work and be reimbursed by the factory.

You have one of the best near you - Bryan Kimsey has done the resets on two of my old Martins as well as some other repairs and they are better than perfect. I can't access his web site from my work computer but try googling him. He does have a long backlog, but is worth the wait.

Archived