Bob Dylan's picking style

bigcaleb

• Members

Dylan is a MUCH more accomplished a musician than he usually chooses to appear...he can Travis-pick, flatpick and play decent slide...if he chooses to.

Listen carefully to "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" for an example of excellent thumb-forefinger and middle-finger Travis-picking.

I agree with you TAH, he's a much more acomplished guitar player than he gets credit for. He didn't play guitar on that track tho, Bruce Langhorne did.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with you TAH, he's a much more acomplished guitar player than he gets credit for. He didn't play guitar on that track tho, Bruce Langhorne did.

No snark intended, but is that simply your opinion?

This point was discussed earlier in the thread, and I think we came to the mutual conclusion that it was most likely Dylan playing it (primarily due to the similarities between the official and Witmark Demos versions).

If you have some additional information about this, I'm really interested in hearing it.

• Members

I think this is pretty remarkable that a fellow only 22 years old could write something like this.

[video=youtube;EdGSecDHyLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdGSecDHyLs

Dylan once said in an interview that after he wrote this song he really couldn't top this lyrically again.

[video=youtube;lJ0htdRIdBY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ0htdRIdBY

• Members

No snark intended, but is that simply your opinion?

This point was discussed earlier in the thread, and I think we came to the mutual conclusion that it was most likely Dylan playing it (primarily due to the similarities between the official and Witmark Demos versions).

If you have some additional information about this, I'm really interested in hearing it.

Right, I should have read on! I'll go back and read it now :)

It's documented in at least 2 Dylan biographies that I've read that Bruce Langhorne played on the Witmark version, if not the album version.

Sorry to TAH!

• Members

Right, I should have read on! I'll go back and read it now
:)

It's documented in at least 2 Dylan biographies that I've read that Bruce Langhorne played on the Witmark version, if not the album version.

Sorry to TAH!

Well, that's something new right there! I never heard about BL playing on the demo (which in itself is really atypical of those recordings). Which bios are those, btw? I'd like to check them out.

• Members

Well, that's something new right there! I never heard about BL playing on the demo (which in itself is really atypical of those recordings). Which bios are those, btw? I'd like to check them out.

I'm nearly sure that one of the bios that mentions this is 'Behind the Shades' by Clinton Heylin. In fact, I think it's actually mentioned in the booklet that accompanies the 'No Direction Home' 2CD set from 4 or 5 (6?) years ago. The Witmark version of that song is on CD1. I'll see if I can dig it out later.

• Members

I'm nearly sure that one of the bios that mentions this is 'Behind the Shades' by Clinton Heylin. In fact, I think it's actually mentioned in the booklet that accompanies the 'No Direction Home' 2CD set from 4 or 5 (6?) years ago. The Witmark version of that song is on CD1. I'll see if I can dig it out later.

Nope, not mentioned in NDH; I just checked. Here's all it says:

"The Witmark Demos capture the young artist in New York in a strikingly intimate setting as heard here in the evocative reading of Don't Think Twice, It's All Right."

Kind of reads like a promo for the subsequent release of the demos, doesn't it? :lol:

• Members

Wow, what an amazing song. Is that Dylan playing? If so, I am impressed. I also wonder what kind of guitar, sounds like a Martin.

And his voice is awesome. That song is a masterpiece, thanks for posting. Dylan is a genius.

Yes that is Dylan playing guitar and singing. He does a wicked version of "It's Allright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" on his live album "Before The Flood". He is using dropped D tuning I think or a variation of it.

Indeed in his prime he was a pretty darn amazing singer/songwriter considering the other music being produced at the time. The thing about Dylan is that he always wanted the fame but only on his terms.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

As requested, here's an example of Bruce Langhorne fingerpicking accompaniment on a 1966 Gordon Lightfoot album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOHjcvqW_io

Compare to same fingerpicking style on Dylan's Girl From the North Country (Freewheelin' album):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wsw_a0X6aQ

To my ear, it's the same accompanist: the great Bruce Langhorne.

Didn't we do this "who played on 'Don't Think'" on page 1 of this thread?

:confused:

• Members

Multi-track with vocal overdubs?
:idk:

I can't sing and play a lot of the more intricate finger style stuff I do. I would imagine a young Bobby Dylan in their early 20's might not either? When I sing more intricate songs live I sometimes do a half ass finger style or on more syncopated stuff I'll just break down and strum with maybe a hint of finger style here and there.

This is what I was thunking

Phil

Archived