washburn comfort series?

boonestunes

• Members

in the market for an acoustic/electric with a cutaway. Local GC had some Washburn's.... nice necks, played well, good price. So I'm looking online and found the Comfort series- AC/EL with a tummy cut and a forearm contour....looks interesting, but none of my local shops have one..... curious if anyone has played these.

It's going to be a live, plugged in guitar. I've got a couple of nice acoustic only guitars, so I'm looking for a live workhorse......

thoughts?

• Members

You can get "playability, comfort, and good electronics" in a used Takamine for not much more if you're willing to go with a "G Series" model and have a much better guitar IMHO.

So you've played one of these "Comfort" series? Cool! I'll defer to your experience on this.

• Members

So you've played one of these "Comfort" series? Cool! I'll defer to your experience on this.

Okay, no, I admit I haven't played one (although I intend to rectify that). However, the "Comfort" series initially appears to have a complex shape, with a beveled portion of the back at the upper part of the waist, which led me to believe they must be (relatively) complicated to make. (Someone more familiar with building guitars might be able to figure out just how complicated.) Street price is $200 and I figured you're not going to get a whole lot of guitar for $200 new even if it's a standard shape and doesn't have electronics. I have played some of the Takamine G Series models and been impressed, especially with the NEX (mini jumbo) models. I'll withhold judgment on the Washburn for now and thanks for calling me out.

• Members

According to the Washburn forum, the best quality Washburns were those built between 1974 and 1996 and the quality of their guitars has dropped dramatically since the year 2000. That infomation is in the "sticky" by Jim Smith at the top of this page.

http://forums.washburn.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=8

I still like the looks of this new "comfort series" but I think I'd hold off buying one until the verdict is in.

• Members

Acchhh.... it's a 200 dollar guitar, not much difference in any of those anyway (imo), I'd await the verdict on a new "Comfort" Martin 00-28(no, they don't make these yet..)before I'd await the verdict on a cheap guitar, but then again, I'm so independently wealthy..... and a gambler. Odds are in my favor.

• Members

well, I know that it's not a superior quality acoustic......not planning to get $2000 quality out of a $200 guitar....

Honestly, my thought was that it would be comfortable to play live (I really like the washburn necks that I've played), sound good plugged in, and at $200-250 it's not a huge loss if I absolutely hate it. Sounds like no one has actually played one though..... I'm cautious. It looks so good on paper, but can't find anyone that's played one...... I guess the only way to find out is to get my local GC to order one in and play it to see how it really sounds.

The most recent washburn model I played (can't remember the numbers) had a solid spruce top, great neck, nice electronics, and was under $300.....

• Members

Ijn my experience, good electronics cost almost $200.

Dosn't leave much room for a guitar at that price.

Just because Fishman made it don't assume the electronics are anything more than quacky cheap crap.

Of course playing is the test, but I'm suspect right out of the gate.

I suspect Stratocoustic tendancies.

All this from somebody who respects and likes Washburns generally.

Its not the brand, its the price point and what it claims to do.

• Members

Ijn my experience, good electronics cost almost $200.

Dosn't leave much room for a guitar at that price.

Just because Fishman made it don't assume the electronics are anything more than quacky cheap crap.

Of course playing is the test, but I'm suspect right out of the gate.

I suspect Stratocoustic tendancies.

All this from somebody who respects and likes Washburns generally.

Its not the brand, its the price point and what it claims to do.

makes sense. maybe I'd be better off just getting a little better model of washburn. I wish I could try one without buying it so I could make an informed decision.

the other thing is.....its gonna be a live guitar. Chances of accidents are greater, so a lesser investment might be wiser..............

• Members

Nothing against a low cost guitar for plugging in playing out on a loud stage. In fact I'm persuaded that a laminate guitar is prob the best for that type of thing.

Plywood resonates less on its own and is less likely to feed back at high volumes. Plus they are tougher and cheaper.

Find yourself a good playing solidly constructed inexpensive used guitar. THey're a dime a doz on Craigslist.. Washburn, Yamaha, Alvarez, whatever as long as you like it, for $100-150 bucks. If nec have some fret work and nut work done, get it where it plays great. Say you get the nut fixed perfectly and a fret leveling, truss rod tweaked, it plays like butter, and you got $200 or less in it.

THEN: Go spend another $200-$300 on some really good top shelf electronics. Lots of good options out there in that range from killer sound-hole pickups to fancy transducer/internal mic blended systems. Then you have a great stage acoustic for $500 or less.

• 8 years later...

Archived