Buying a used Ovation?

SwingingAx

• Members

Check the Headstock well, if you are.

I just bought a used CC57. (made in Korea)

Before I did, I checked the Intonation and

made sure the Frets weren't worn down.

Then I tried the Pick-up to see if it worked,

and looked the guitar over somewhat. (not

good enough, unfortunately)

Everything seemed okay, so I paid the man.

As I was putting some fretboard Cleaner on it,

I THEN noticed a big chunk missing from the

Headstock. (seller claimed he didn't know)

Thankfully, nowadays I go with the flow, so

I consider it a lesson learned. (as long as it

functions okay, I'll live)

So, check the Headstock well. Thanks to the

funky shape of Ovation's, it's easy to miss.

(for me at least)

• Members

Will you post a pic of the damaged headstock so people will know what to watch out for?

Not much to show, really.

If you look at a picture of an Ovation's headstock, it bows out at the top of each side.

And I failed to notice, thanks to it being on the bottom side, when holding the guitar,

that the bottom bowing was missing.

• Members

Well, I'm sorry you have bought a damaged guitar

but I think if you examined it before buying it's down to you to accept the blame.

Not as sorry as I am!

Seriously, there were several things that should have given me pause,

the main one being I'm not savvy enough about the ins and outs of

guitars to buy used. (and craigslist is not the best place to buy one)

It didn't help that I've been wanting an Ovation guitar for years, so

my burning desire to get one probably clouded my judgement.

So, you're right, I'm the idiot, fool and dupe to blame.

The one thing I'm left wondering is; did the seller know about the damage?

IF he did, he must have been holding his breathe as I looked over the guitar,

and tuned it as well, hoping like hell I didn't see the damage.

I consider it a valuable, and a bit costly, ($150) lesson learned.

• Members

Ovations are not heirlooms. They are good instruments to play the hell out of them and discard and replace after they have done their job. The good thing is that nowadays one is as good as the other, they have a good and stable quality.

I have come by some extremely good and extremely bad Ovations in the past, but all I've seen recently seems to be failrly good across the board. In fact, Ovation is one of the few brands that I would buy new sight unseen, they are consistent, easily set-up meeting one's personal preferences.

• Members

Sounds like the damage I have on the headstock of my '76 Ovation. I love the look of that headstock, but the flared out edges will apparently bust fairly easily. I bumped mine just a few years after I got it. Fortunately it's a small chip and it's on the back.

• Members

Sounds like an "ear" was broken off. That happens often mostly because of carelass handling. I have seen a few repaired, but not many.

As for "not heirlooms", I beg to differ. If you get your hands on a well cared for USA made Ovation (vintage or otherwise) you have a very nice guitar.

• Members

Sure, a nice guitar, but not with any "vintage" capability. Do not get me wrong, I love Ovations, always had at least one and currently have two.

Still, they are "workhorses". I will invest into my 25+ years old 12-String, but I do not expect to see it growing in value.

• Members

Ovations are not heirlooms. They are good instruments to play the hell out of them and discard and replace after they have done their job. The good thing is that nowadays one is as good as the other, they have a good and stable quality.

I have come by some extremely good and extremely bad Ovations in the past, but all I've seen recently seems to be failrly good across the board. In fact, Ovation is one of the few brands that I would buy new sight unseen, they are consistent, easily set-up meeting one's personal preferences.

Couldn't agree more!

• Members

It's pretty easy to miss a defect when you're excited over getting a new guitar, I've done it a few times and both were costly mistakes. I'm with you on the Ovations Katopp. Jokes about boat paddles and sliding off your lap haven't deterred me, I like em!

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm trying my best to forgive my own ineptitude.

At least I didn't pay $150 for an Estaban Guitar!

• Members

Are you satisfied with the action and how it sounds?

I'm so sickened by the whole ordeal that I sold the Guitar case for $50 to a Relative who is

going to see if he wants it. (I'd rather not have something that reminds me of my stupidity)

I did play it a bit and it seemed to be okay.

The fretboard has some cracks along it that may hurt it's performance though.

• Members

Sounds like an "ear" was broken off. That happens often mostly because of carelass handling. I have seen a few repaired, but not many.

As for "not heirlooms", I beg to differ. If you get your hands on a well cared for USA made Ovation (vintage or otherwise) you have a very nice guitar.

IF my relative doesn't keep it, I'm going to alter the other 'Ear' so they're symmetrical.

This is a 'Celebrity' Ovation, which I believe means it's foreign made.

• Members

Sure, a nice guitar, but not with any "vintage" capability. Do not get me wrong, I love Ovations, always had at least one and currently have two.

Still, they are "workhorses". I will invest into my 25+ years old 12-String, but I do not expect to see it growing in value.

This model is definitely not a 'Heirloom' Ovation, imo.

• Members

FYI, I called the seller this morning and suggested that if he sent me $50, I'd call it even.

(left a message on his Cell Phone)

Otherwise, I'll have to figure out someway to make things 'even'. (if this guy knew me,

he'd probably take the guitar and give me my money back, and count himself lucky)

He mentioned having to go to church, on the day I bought it, so I suggested a 'good

Christian' wouldn't sell a damaged guitar (said it was 'in good condition' in Ad) for the

price he did, (MIGHT have offered him $75) and ended it with a 'WWJD' comment.

I'll give him til the end of February. Then, if he declines my offer, it'll be time to get

medieval on his ass, and give him a real reason to pray. (and he'll never know it's me)

• Members

No... A Celebrity will never be an heirloom. I have one, I know. Yes, they are imported. They started out from Korea (mine) and now could be from China or Indonesia along with the rest of the "formerly made in USA" models (thanks Fender!) Celebs play pretty well for being a laminate top and have decent preamps.

As for the missing ear, you could even it up OR splice another one on. Removing is always easier. Splicing another back on... now there is a challenge. How is your woodworking skills?

$150 for a CC57 isnt too bad (missing ear and all). I've seen them on my local CL going for over $300.

• Members

Wow! You got so bummed that you couldn't stand to keep it!

It would be a glaring example of my stupidity, and having been screwed, though I was able to find

the root cause of it. (I'm not naturally so gullible or inept)

I recently added organic Tumeric to my diet, and it lowered my cholesterol, which tends to

be too low to begin with. GAS, Brain Fog and other problems ensued. (live and learn)

I may end up with it anyways. In that case, it'll be a back up for my other acoustic/electric.

(which was supposed to be IT'S back up)

Or turned into a clock, if it turns out to be unplayable, though I would then be tempted to

'Pete Townsend' it on video and post it to the Web.

• Members

$150 for a CC57 isnt too bad (missing ear and all). I've seen them on my local CL going for over $300.

I'd say it could be worth $75 to $100, due to having a decently built generic

Guitar Case. (there's another CC57 in my local Craigslist for $300)

One thing I'm a little worried about is cracking on the fretboard. It may be

bad enough to require repairing, if it's even possible, or junking if not.

I'll be asking about that in a new thread.

BTW, this CC57's Fret Markers are EXACTLY like the ones in your Avatar.

Archived