Bought an Android tablet...

Misha

• Members

I still don't carry a cell phone. The guy I contract to keeps insisting I do but he can go flog himself. That's not happening. My wife bought me a phone, saw the look on my face, then smiled and asked me how I liked her new phone. Love that woman.

Amish Joe

• Members

I carry a typewriter, jacks and a deck of cards, some envelopes and stamps and I'm good to go.....

Oh, that was you in the metro, last week!! ;)

(Long time since I've seen a real typewriter)

• Members

A typewriter is a handy thing to have around once in awhile. Just imagine having to fill out a paper form of some sort, wanting it to be very neat and presentable, yet your hand printing/writing is nearly illegible.

Though I'd love to have a small-yet-powerful tablet that could possibly take the place of my laptop, I really don't want a smart phone. My cell phone is a rarely-used communications device, and frankly I don't like the whole "constant connectivity" thing. I turn off my phone a lot. I don't use it to take photos, play games, surf the web, listen to music or watch vids. Texting is a sometimes-convenient substitute for voice calls, but that's the only non-voice feature I use.

I'll admit, sometimes I get so frustrated with technology that I want to toss all my gadgets into the nearest dumpster.

I'll also admit that getting a card or handwritten letter via snail mail makes me smile.

• Members

Me too. After becoming thoroughly disgusted with Windoze and trying various flavors of Linux with varying degrees of understanding and success, I've become completely sold on Ubuntu. This particular distro makes climbing the Linux learning curve a breeze for non-geeks like me.

Some very smart geek-peeps have indeed put Ubuntu on the ill-fated HP tablet, but I'm not that smart, so I'll wait. As you say, I don't think they can prolong such a critter for long.

For the last few releases, there's been an Ubuntu version designed specifically for netbooks. IIRC, some of the earlier ones were buggy, but I'd imagine the kinks are worked out by now. I think you're right - it's only a matter of time before they come out with a release for tablets. The Unity dock would lend itself quite well to use on a tablet. I don't care for it, but that's because I used the standard Applications/Places/System menus for many years and didn't want to learn something new. On a tablet, however, I can see Unity being a major selling point - something that would set an Ubuntu tablet release apart from platforms like iOS and Android.

• Members

Personnally, I like gadgets, but I hate wires! That's the good thing about a straight acoustic guitar: no wires!

Maybe with a 3G tablet and a wireless keyboard, it would be more fun than trying to tether with a Blackberry where you still need to use your netbook because you also need to use Connectify... :facepalm:

• Members

Something that I would like to try: a big monitor and a wireless keyboard. I could lay on my bed and write, text, view videos, etc, while looking at the screen on my desk... or on the wall!

Probably that some of you alreday do that!!

Archived