OT: Favorite Spring/Summer Drinks/Dishes/Songs

kujozilla

• Members

Here in Georgia the spring and summer are the times of the year that make me think of big family suppers, picking in the park, and sitting out in my yard with a nice cold concoction in hand sipping away as the sun sets.

So, here's what to do. The first thing I wanna know is your favorite spring/summer drink (alcoholic or non), then I want to see your favorite season food, and last I wanna see the song you most associate with the seasons.

Here is mine:

First is the Drink

I kind of invented this take on a classic Arnold Palmer. My friends and I will sit around drinking these whenever we are playing underneath my big oak tree in the back yard.

Fill a highball with ice fill to 3/8 full with sweet tea and another 3/8 with lemonade then bring the drink up to 7/8 full with a shot of Praline Pecan Liqueur. The end result is a drink we call The Rhett Butler (because it was born around my girlfriends home near Tara Blvd).

rhett.jpg

Second is the Food

I hate to be a stereotypical kinda guy, but ever since I was a kid my favorite summer food has been Peach Cobbler. I can remember being a kid and smelling it cooking in my Maw-Maw's kitchen and still to this day for me nothing compares to the taste of one prepared the right way.

peach-cobbler-sl-257827-l.jpg

Lastly is the Song

Now, what good would all this food and drink be if we didn't get to enjoy it with a song in our hearts?

For me the song I have always associated with spring and summer stems from the fact that as a child I spent lots of time at bluegrass festivals walking around hearing music from various jam sessions wherever I would go. I can't honestly say any one tune stands out for me so I picked one I remember my granddad and his friends doing a lot.

[video=youtube;BxOkB0AMhiE]

• Members

1 - We are mostly beer/wine drinkers. My taste in beer doesn't change (big hoppy IPA's) but we tend to drink lighter wines in the summer - we almost never drink a sauvignon blanc in the winter but it is pretty common on the patio in the summer. Chilled really well, I've even been know to put an ice cube it.

2 - Food - salads, salads, and more salads. When the garden starts kicking in the evening meal is often something grown in the back yard.

3 - Music - the outdoor concert scene starts - weekly gigs in one of our little parks by local musicians. The type of music changes from week to week -rock, blues, salsa, - but we take a blanket, ride the motor cycle down and pretend its 1965.

• Members

First I think speaks for itself'

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSonJFSmwiuFxKRPoesl2

Well actually this would be a year round pleasure so I guess thinking summer would be Fresh Brewed Sun Tea sun%20tea.JPG

Foods I got several come to mind I am going to throw out a few

pickled-cucumber-onion.jpg Cucumbers and Onion salad (I usually add some green peppers too, all in a vinegar and sugar and water mix.....It is so light and fresh when it is hot outside!

2nd

steamed+crabs.png Maryland Steamed Crabs, for as long as I can recall, we have always had beer and crabs on my parents deck a few times a year enjoying them first in summer Beer, Crabs, and corn and salad is the usual menu!

In the early fall or late summer, it is Beer, Crabs and Macaroni & Cheese.

Anyone here on the East Coast that goes to Ocean City Md Knows summer means

thrashers-french-fries-del0811-lg-886367 And lgboardwalk1Small_1.jpg

Finally there is so many songs and performers that I do enjoy for summer I can not pick any single song But I think it is hard to think summer without thinking

[video=youtube;vFF8TRflBRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFF8TRflBRA

Girls, Cars, Beach and fun they pretty much cover it all

Archived