Anyone else prone to finger infections? (slightly gross content inside)

Mike_E_McGee

• Members

I'm a reformed nail and cuticle biter. Since forcing myself to only trim with clippers and a file (and putting files in my car, office, etc). I've had many many fewer infections, but don't you know it I've got one right now anyway.

My middle finger, left hand, right down at the edge of the nail is all puffy and has a little pink discoloration with a whitish spot in the center. It's also nice and hurty. In the past I've tried lancing it with a steralized pin. Hurts to do, but a lot of the pain goes away when you release the pressure (squeeze the goop out).

Like biting my nails, I'm trying to kick the self surgery. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this or proper ways to help it cure/heal faster?

Why are most of my question threads about health/healing and not about guitars/music??!? Ummm how do you use diminished chords? :wave:

• Members

Oh yeah....remember those days very well. I'm 69 right now and was probably close to 35 years old before I quit biting my nails. Used to get those infections all the time. Painful. The only thing I found that worked was to grit my teeth and squeeze the hell out of the infected area until the puss came out. Then, one day, I decided to divorce myself from all of that frivolity. These days, I trim my nails with a pair of 5" Diamond brand side cutters! I never was any good with standard nail clippers.

After I cut, I use a very high quality fingernail file to dress up the nail ends. Works for me. My wife is always telling me I have nicer fingernails than she has. She has better legs, though. And more hair on her head.

• Members

I would suggest never trying to lance/squeeze/pierce these things yourself. See your doc if you get an infection. My wife recently played that game with a minor cyst, and she has been in the hospital since Thursday with what blew up into a serious infection.

I'd also consider ditching the clippers as often as possible and using files only, and also perhaps not taking your nails down quite as short as you may be used to. Infections like this often happen when clipping is too aggressive, and vulnerable tissue is inadvertently exposed and/or the way is paved for an ingrown nail.

And wash your hands often with soap and water. Good way to keep bacteria in its place.

• Members

Does it look like these- (stock photos)

2494294_com_img_8606.jpgM-myx1.jpg

It may be a mixoid cyst or synovial cyst, a form of arthritis. When the joint fluid leaks a bit. Got one on my ring finger, left hand, can be painful if you bump it. The self-surgery is what your doctor will do until you decide to have him go in there and cut it out. The stuff that comes out of mine is mucousy white stuff... and blood, of course. Deforms the fingernail as well.

Also, if your cuticle is gone, your weather seal is gone. Super glue to put that seal back up, and the fingernail should heal.

Here's a site explaining that cyst-thing. If it ain't what was described, here's hoping you were all edified anyway...or, umm, not too grossed out ;)

http://www.healthandage.com/synovial-cyst-what-is-synovial-cyst-how-is-it-treated

• Members

I can't get a good pic of it, but it's not a cyst. I've got one of them in my index causing a permanent broken nail. This is the "nail biter's infection" which I've had in every finger I've got. Trying the hot compress. No self surgery this time, and very sorry to hear about your wife, Knock. Lighting candles and sending mojo. I've got the nail biting pretty much beat consciously. Every once in a blue moon though, I just suddenly realize I'm doing it and I immediately stop. Old habits I guess. The worst is when I bash a nail up and don't have any tools. That becomes a test of willpower!

• Members

I would suggest never trying to lance/squeeze/pierce these things yourself. See your doc if you get an infection. My wife recently played that game with a minor cyst, and she has been in the hospital since Thursday with what blew up into a serious infection.

I'd also consider ditching the clippers as often as possible and using files only, and also perhaps not taking your nails down quite as short as you may be used to. Infections like this often happen when clipping is too aggressive, and vulnerable tissue is inadvertently exposed and/or the way is paved for an ingrown nail.

And wash your hands often with soap and water. Good way to keep bacteria in its place.

Dude, I hope Mrs. Knockwood feels better soon.

Archived