I need a good case.

loganonymous

• Members

I picked up a lower-end Martin dreadnought the other day (NGD to come!) to replace an old Yamaha that's been steadily falling apart for years. Since this is a much better instrument than I'm used to, I'd like to keep it as protected as possible, so I was seeing what kind of case you guys would recommend to keep it safe. It'll be my main gigging guitar, so it needs to be a pretty rugged case. I'm not on any super-tight budget, but I'd like to keep it relatively inexpensive (meaning not a Calton, haha).

Thanks so much! :)

• Members

The Musician's Friend Silver Creek archtop cases are pretty good for the money. Lightweight, and well enough put together, about seventy bucks. Being three ply construction, it might not quite be rugged enough for your needs though.

I would suggest you go for the Martin 545 Geib style case. Plush interior, vanilla smell, 5 ply construction, six latches, rugged as a tank. This is what the high-end Martins come in. :thu:

• Members

I only use Gigbags for inhouse dust protection or very light foot travel. Everything else is dealt with by a snug fitting hardshell case. I have one for each and every guitar and I don't buy a guitar without a case anymore. Gigbags are convenient but don't protect as good as a good case.

• Members

It's hard for me to get excited about cases since I've never had one fail. I like the cheap plywood cases that MF sells:

I don't know about the Silver Creek but the second link, the fifty buck Musician's Gear Deluxe Dreadnought Case is a five ply constructed case and is probably the best case deal there is. It will do an excellent job in protecting your guitar to and from gigs and comes in tweed or black.

Biggest negative is the plastic handle but whoop dee dee. The case should easily last a minimum of 5 years so you can purchase 15 years worth for less than the Martin case suggested by FretFiend. that that is an excellent case.

The main thing to do is take your guitar in and test fit it. The guitar should be held snugly in place though not so tight you have to jump up and down on it to get it into the case.

• Members

I had one of those Musician's Gear $49 cases. It is a flat top case, it only has four latches, and it doesn't have a lot of padding. The guitar isn't firmly cushioned inside it, and it doesn't provide a lot of crush protection to the top of the guitar. Decent case for light use, but I wouldn't trust it for serious gigging.

• Members

I had one of those Musician's Gear $49 cases. It is a flat top case, it only has four latches, and it doesn't have a lot of padding. The guitar isn't firmly cushioned inside it, and it doesn't provide a lot of crush protection to the top of the guitar. Decent case for light use, but I wouldn't trust it for serious gigging.

That's why you take your guitar in and do a test fit. Hell, I gigged for five years with the stock plywood case my FG150 came in. The lining on it is nothing but very thin velour material that's really close to flannel.

• Members

As I happen to live on an Island, I rely on air travel for most of the time. Always risky business, but my plywood cases happen to end up in shred after a few flights, whereas I never had any issues with my cheap&cheerful Gator HSC.

Archived